Ch 41: Ghosts

Damien pov:

She's really gone… My sister, dead…

“Damien...”

What am I supposed to do? I've had her with me my whole life and now she's gone. It's not just her too… 

“Damien.”

Azrael… Amilia… Arthur… Athena… all of them gone, in a blink of an eye. A 'gas leak,' they say. I know better than that.

“Damien!”

First Ryker and now this… how is a man supposed to move on from a tragedy like this. I swear to God when I see Midnight again, I'm going to do more than just kill him. I'll rip him apart piece by piece, slowly. I melt his eyes in his head and rip his spleen out his-

“DAMIEN!”

My head snaps up to see Artemis staring at me. Her gaze is intense and leaves me vulnerable and angry. Calming my anger, I sigh and clasp my hands together before speaking.

“Sorry, I was thinking.” I apologize weakly and look over the paperwork in front of me. Most of it is work and NDA's.

“It's fine. You're going through a lot.” She assures me and sits in the seat across from my desk. I nod and scoop the papers up and shuffle them.

“How are you holding up?” I ask her weakly, my eyes distant and my voice unusually soft.

“Me? I'm as good as can be. Azrael and I were friends for some time, but we grew distant over time. But I can say coming back into her life brought a new type of love I didn't know I could feel.” She smiles sadly and looks at me with a pained expression.

“What of Hades?” I ask her, worried for the kid. She sighs deeply and rubs her face before scoffing.

“Silent. She doesn't speak much, if at all anymore. She says she has no reason to talk. Her only friend is dead, and she isn't interested in making more.” She picks up the glass of scotch on my table and swirls it before sipping on it.

“I see…” I trail off, feeling sorry for the kid.

“What about you?” She asks me and pours a glass for me and passes it to me. I smile sadly and sip it gently, thinking of my sister.

“To be honest, I'm a wreck. I have slept in the past month. I see her in my dreams. I hear her voice still. It's like she's haunting me. Not to mention Jay and Jeremy are messes. Jay lost his cousins and Jeremy lost his best friend.” I down my drink and hiss at the burn of the alcohol.

“Seems like their deaths have had an effect on everyone.” She sighs and tips her drink back, finishing it off.

We sit in silence for sometime, neither of us daring to speak on the pain we both feel. After a few minutes of silence, she clears her throat and stands up, straightening out her suit.

“We can't let Midnight or the public know they died. Since you're taking over the company, it's best if you give a statement saying they're going on vacation abroad. If midnight catches wind she's dead he'll wreck havoc on the city.” She tells me as she stuffs her hands into her pockets.

“You're right… even though I want people to know, it's for the best that we keep Midnight at bay as much as we can.” I grunt and look at the papers in my hand. Signing them I officially take over the company and remove Amilia as the owner and CEO.