Ch 22: Trust Me

Amilia pov:

"You don't gotta do this girly." Jeremy's voice comes in through the coms. I snorted a laugh and took a sip of my drink.

"I do have to do this so shut up and be ready to leave with the target in tow." I say quietly into the com. He laughed and agreed.

I was at a venue for the rich and powerful. Many of those who worked in the underworld, those who are absurdly rich, even corrupt politicians are here. It was a scummy pool of filth, the lowest of the low.

I was here to entice and get information. I'm heartbroken to not have seen Azrael for nearly a year, 9 months of her being gone and not finding much to help. Artemis has been a rock for me and the family, sticking with us and focusing on helping us find Azrael.

The boys have been pushing themselves hard, I feel as though they're taking it extra hard. They love her so much and haven't known a life with her being away. I'm thankful Hades keeps Athena occupied and cheerful, I'd hate for her to become cold.

All of their pain and grief pushed me and Artemis to do better and try harder. We keep finding breadcrumbs about Mr. Midnight, a tiny trail to help us find her. Problem is he keeps moving around too much. It's hard to keep tabs on a man that disappears often.

Thankfully we found a big break, Intel tells us he works with many corrupt politicians. What he does with them we have no clue, which is why I'm here. I gotta get that information out of them, we need something more than these fucking breadcrumbs.

Finishing my drink I set it aside and make my way through the crowd, mingling with people as I pass. Searching the crowd I see the man I came here to entice and gather information from.

"Targets on the move." I whispered into my com, moving closer to the man. He mingles with a few men and women, a drink in hand.

"We're moving in now." Artemis's voice comes through. I look to where I know she's at, the woman in an all black suit with a drink in hand by the corner.

"Mr. Jefferson! A pleasure to meet you." I smiled and moved to the man, offering a hand out to him. He smiles and takes my hand, pressing a kiss to it. Gross.

"Ah, Mrs. Whitlock, I've heard many things about you." He chuckled and let my hand go, his eyes raking over my figure.

"Good things I hope." I faked a giggle and bat my eyelashes. He smirks and leans closer to me with a wicked grin.

"Very. What brings you to such a venue?" He placed his hand on the small of my back. I wanted nothing more than to rip it off and shove it up his ass. Sick fuck.

"Just making connections and mingling. I hear you have a specific taste in things." I whispered to him, laughing lightly. He clears his throat and nods.

"Is that so? It's very niche. Hard to find many people willing to do such things." He waved to a few people that walked by us. I gave polite smiles and nods as well, trying to keep my charade up.

"Trust me when I say you're not alone. In fact I have a gift waiting at the Marriott if you're interested. Call it a Jester of good faith and business." He lifted a brow and looked excited, my skin crawling at his sick smile.

"What can I help you with-"

"Why don't we discuss it at the Marriott, with your gift." He looked disgustingly excited, adjusting his tie to relieve some tension.