Ch 28: No Sweet Home

Amilia pov:

My heart was beating out of my chest seeing Azrael. It's been so long since I last saw her and she looks different. Her once striking bright blue eyes are dull and cold again. Her hair is much longer, she looks to have lost a lot of weight, and she has these deep bags under her eyes.

Although she didn't look to be in the best shape I still admired her. Her hair is still white as snow, her eyes still pierced me, even those beautiful white eyelashes I loved so much. She was still her, just… damaged. I tried to cup her face but she stopped me, her hand holding mine in a harsh grip.

"Are you real?" She looked like she was holding herself back, a tense and panicked look in her eyes.

"I'm real, I promise you." I tried to assure her. She held my hand in a crushing grip, still thinking about what I said.

"Tell me something only you would know. Only you." She grunted, her teeth clenching in what I think is anger. Holding her hand as well I lower our hands to not be up so high.

"12 years ago we lost our first baby, a car accident. You still blame yourself." I kept her gaze, seeing it soften for a moment. Hesitantly she moved closer to encase me in a hug.

I sighed and clung to her for my life. I took in her smell and relished in the way she felt, her entire being making me relax. Her arms wrapped around me tightly and squeezed, assuring me she was really here. Her face is buried in my neck, wetness gathering as she cries.

"Oh God I missed you. I missed you so much." She whimpered quietly. I rubbed her back and felt her relax ever so slightly.

"I'm right here. You're okay." I hushed her. I stayed with her savoring the moment of her return, holding her while she cried. When she pulled away she held my face gently.

"I'm sorry for leaving. I'm sorry for not coming back sooner. I'm sorry for the time I missed." She brushed the tears that fell down my face, a small smile on her lips. I wanted to kiss her and assure her that it was fine but I could tell she wasn't the same. Even holding me this close seemed to be a struggle from her.

"It's okay. You did what you had to do. For now, come see the kids. They missed you." I offered my hand out for her to take and she did. She walked with me slowly, moving towards the door to the house.

When getting to the kids and the others she seemed to tense up, her gaze turning colder than before. I could feel her hand squeezing mine harder when they were closer now. The boys looked desperate to hug her but stayed back in respect and slight fear.

"Dad-" Arthur started 

"I-I know you're real but… it'll take time for me to acknowledge that. For all of you that is." She pulled him into a hug, her body tense. She's trying and that's all that mattered.

She pulled Ryker into a hug as well, holding them while they cried and hugged her back. Athena couldn't stop herself so she joined in and hugged them all. I watched them all lovingly hug her and whisper words of care.

When they broke apart she looked to Artemis. She'd just been able to take the sling off her arm a month ago, now she is in physical therapy. When seeing Azy she smiled and opened her arms for a hug.

"Mon Cheri. How I missed you." Azy looked nervous and scared to hug her but she did so anyway. When they hugged I could see Artemis whisper something in her ear before letting her go.