Ch 5: My Dads Secret

Ryker pov:

I signed up for soccer at school to fill my free time. This meant my dad came to my practices and even signed up for PTA things for my school and my sisters. She's been doing really well so far, it's the start of soccer season so we've only had one game and a lot of practice.

Something I always forget though is how intimidating my dad can look to other people. I'm used to her so I know she is a big softy with a lot of love and care for people. Other people not so much.

She has sharp icy blue eyes with a scar that runs across her lip, she's never told me how she got it though. Although no one would know, the front of her body is covered in scars. She also has never told me how she got those either. I only know the cause of swimming with her in summer.

She had some on her arms and hands but they aren't as big or jagged as the ones on her body. To an outside person she looks like a giant monster with bright eyes that could kill you. She also apparently has the strength and skill to knock someone's teeth in.

My point is that I'm always confused when some of my friends or their parents won't meet her. Like today, we finished practice and there were a few parents that stayed the entire time and others that showed up to pick their kids up.

I saw her sitting on the bleachers so I gave a wave as I ran over, ignoring the fearful stares of my friends. She walked down the steps and pulled me into a playful headlock.

"You're getting pretty good at football." She gave me a noogie and let me go. I laughed and shoved her away playfully.

"It's called soccer." She scoffed and pushed me back jokingly. I loved to roughhouse with her.

"Arhtur would say you're wrong." She defended herself, a wide smile on her face.

"Arthur is a big nerd so it doesn't- Hey!" She pushed me forward and I almost tripped. We walked towards the field to grab my things so we could leave.

I saw my coach with a few other parents and looked at my dad. She waited patiently for me to grab my things. Another thing that she will do is not insert herself into things so people don't get uncomfortable with her.

"Dad, you should meet my coach." I grabbed her arm and pulled her towards the small group of people.

"I don't know. I don't wanna freak anyone out." She looked a little nervous but gave in when I hit her with the puppy dog eyes.

"Fine, but just for a bit." Pumping my arm happily I dragged her to meet the cool guy. Immediately I could see discomfort and unease on his face and the other parents when looking at her.

"O-oh, Ryker and Mrs. Whitlock." He sounded nervous. Some of the other parents mumbled as she stood tall and stoic, she's just so cool.

"Azrael is just fine." She smiled and extended a hand out for him to shake. He hesitantly shook it with a wry smile.

"Your son does really well on our team. He's a star." My dad lifted a brow and looked at me. Her face broke out into a smile as she ruffled my hair.

"That's great to hear. My brother and I used to play back in the day. Glad to see it carried down." My coach seemed to ease up but some of the parents still looked uncomfortable.

"Is it true you run Whitlock Enterprise?" She chuckled and waved him off, her natural personality coming out.

"Nah, my wife does though. I'm a full time parent. Doesn't pay but it's got its perks." They laughed and I felt a little happy to see her socializing with other people besides our 'family'.