16

NATIONAL ANTHEM

Jack sat in the school cafeteria, keeping his eyes on his tray of food in front of him. The table was full of the group talking, Jack glancing at the end of the table.

Liam, another guy on the team, sat opposite of Jade, the girl laughing at whatever he was saying. Jack scoffed, shaking his head.

" You good?", Trevor asked, his mouth full of food. Jack abruptly got up from the table, catching everyone's attention as he walked off.

Emma rolled her eyes, " He's such an attention seeker", she mumbled into Jades ear.

The blonde chuckled, watching as the dirty blonde left the large cafeteria. Jade wanted to follow him, to ask him what was wrong, and listen to whatever he had to say. But, she didn't. She stayed sat beside her best friend, talking to a guy who she thought was boring, but it kept her distracted from the boy who just barged away from their group.

Jade and Jack haven't really talked since the morning after the Halloween party. She felt embarrassed, she thought that after he found her when she was bawling her eyes out about the Andrew situation - he thought she was too much.

It was now the day before winter break began, and they had barely looked at each other for the last month and a half.

Jack didn't know what to do with himself when he wasn't spending time with her. Even though he knew it was his fault he felt this way, he still felt lost. Lost without having Jade to talk to in the halls, tell her about his games. They never told each other how they felt, so they could never really express it.

Jade was angry. Jack had no reason to act this way toward her. She was mad that he wouldn't just talk to her about whatever his problem was, but instead, he chose to ignore her. Jade tried to talk to him for a few days, but after being ignored and given short answers, she decided that she deserved better than that.

Her and Emma had been had been hanging out with that whole group a lot more since Halloween, which was nice, but awkward. Jade would catch Jack watching her as she talked to other guys in the group, then rolling his eyes in a judgemental way.

" Jade? You good?", Liam asked and tapping her foot under the table.

She looked at him, " Yeah! I'm good, sorry".

a/n

oh Jacky