1

NATIONAL ANTHEM

disclaimer;

I'm not 100% sure if the events in the
story for sure match up with what the
program was really like, so don't
think I know what's going on lol

jade stood in the front yard of her home, her mother taking the annual first day of school picture of her and her older brother, Trevor. The family lived in Michigan, now that Trevor was selected for the US national development program for hockey. The two siblings attended the same private school, which also happens to be the school that all team members from the program get sent to, since the program pays for it.

" Mom, take the picture", Trevor groaned. He was going into grade 11, Jade going into grade 10. Their mother smiled and nodded, signalling she was done. " We have to go, since we're picking up Emma and some of my friends",

The siblings got into the car, " How many of your friends are we getting?",

" Mm, 3", he confirmed. He messed with the light blue collared shirt, trying to untuck it from the tan dress pants, "This uniform I swear, it's gonna be the death of me".

Jade laughed, choosing to wear the black collared shirt with the tan coloured uniform skirt. She was thankful that she had the option of pants or skirts, unlike the guys who only had pants. Trevor drove to her best friend, Emma's house, the dark haired girl standing outside of her garage waiting for them to pick her up.

" Hey guys, thanks for picking me up, Trevor", Emma thanked. He smiled, knowing the girl for so long that he didn't feel the need to give her a verbal answer. Emma and Jade had been best friends since they were 10, so Trevor was pretty used to her being around often.

" We're picking up three of Trevor's friends, so one of them is gonna have to climb into the very back", Jade said to her friend who nodded. Once they arrived outside of one of the houses, she saw a dirty blonde boy saying goodbye to who she assumed was his mother.

" What's up, Rowdy", Trevor said, laughing at his friend who sat in the seat behind Jade. " This is Jack, Jack, that's Emma, and this is my sister Jade. They're a year younger",

Jade turned to face him, sending him a quick smile. He returned it, also smiling at Emma. " Are we getting Turcs and Caufield?",

" Unfortunately", Trevor joked, " I swear, if Cole isn't ready, he can walk to school",

Jack laughed at his comment, keeping the conversation going until they got to the next house. A boy with dark brown hair rushed out, still fixing the collar on his shirt. Jack made him get in the very back, introducing him as Alex, or ' Turcs' as Trevor called him.

" Cole isn't even up, I tried calling him like ten minutes ago", Alex said, Trevor shaking his head as they pulled into the last driveway. This time, no one came out, the older Zegras hitting the horn a bunch of times.

After about five minutes, Cole ran out, scramming into the car and apologizing. " Sorry guys, I forgot to set my alarm",

" Of course you did, Cole. Why am I not surprised", Jack said, now sitting in the middle seat.

The large group of teenagers arrived at school, everyone piling out of the car. Emma and Jade said bye to them all, heading to where their classes were. " Trev, no one knew you had a sister", Cole said.

Trevor side eyed him, " Yea, didn't tell you for a reason".

Jack chuckled at them, the four heading to where they all had class. Most of their classes were together, like everything else they did. While Trevor lectured Cole about his sister, Jack was thinking the same thing. Even though Jade only looked at him for maybe five seconds, it was probably the most exciting five seconds he's had in awhile. Maybe this was another reason to hangout at Trevor's more often, which felt wrong, but he couldn't help himself. He was just a teenage boy, who thought a girl was cute.