9

NATIONAL ANTHEM

Jade woke up the next morning, feeling a brick had been dropped on her head. She made a mental note to herself to never trust Jacks drinking suggestions ever again.

" Feel better?", she heard him ask.

Slowly sitting up, she looked over at him. " No, I'm not".

Jack chuckled, handing the girl an Advil. The basement was now empty, Jade checking her phone to see that it was already 1 o'clock in the afternoon.

" I would stay and help you feel better, but we've got practice at 2:30".

Jade nodded, " Thanks for helping me last night. That's so embarrassing, but I'm glad it was you who saw it".

He shrugged, " I'm sure you would do the same for me, right J?".

" Obviously", she smiled.

He simply nodded at her, telling her to drink lots of water before going up the stairs and exiting the basement.

Jade flopped back down, replaying the whole night in her head- or what she could remember at least. All she really remembered was being with Jack all night. He never let her leave his sight, even if it was just for a second to get another drink or go to the washroom.

It gave her a funny feeling in her stomach, one that she couldn't tell if it was good or bad. Jack was popular, like, really popular. Popular with girls, with guys, with hockey.

He was already predicted to be the next face of the NHL, and that made her scared. Why would Jack want to be with someone like her? Jade was Trevor's younger sister, which reminded her that Jack was in fact Trevor's best friend.

Jade tried to get the idea of them being together out of her head. Even if it would work, she didn't want to give herself any ideas. She would choose her relationship with her brother over some boy any day. Even if that boy was Jack, someone Jade found herself being with almost everyday.

Jack on the other hand, saw no problem with the two being together. Of course he loved Trevor, he loved him a lot. He was his best friend, basically his brother. But, Jack couldn't keep himself away from Jade.

She had an addictive personality. She was funny, insanely smart, and it helped that she was pretty cute. Jade was perfect in his eyes. She was the perfect girl for him.

Jack didn't want anyone else thinking that way of her. So, whenever Trevor warned someone on the team to stay away from his sister, Jack agreed with him.

" Trevor, come on. You can't keep her hidden forever", one of the guys on the team said as they got ready for their practice.

" I can keep her hidden from you for as long as I want", Trevor argued back.

Jack laughed, " Yeah, did you wanna find out if he was lying or?".

The other guy just rolled his eyes, continuing a different conversation with them.

Jack knew if he mentioned his feelings to Trevor, it would be awkward. Siding with Trevor in arguments like this probably wasn't gonna help his case when the time came, but for now, he thought it was for the best.