13

NATIONAL ANTHEM

Jack sat at the kitchen counter in his house, waiting for Jade to wake up. It was only 9, but he was worried about her. He wanted to make sure she was okay, fully okay.

He told Trevor he was taking Jade home, knowing he was spending the night at Coles. Jack was supposed to as well, but he just said he wanted to sleep in his own bed tonight.

When he bumped into Jade and realized she was crying, it was like a bunch of sirens went off in his head. Plus, when she mentioned Andrew and how it was his fault that she was like this at that moment, he wanted to hurt the older boy- kill him even.

Jack decided to focus on getting Jade home and to bed, instead of trying to find Andrew in the large house that was full of people. Jade begged Jack not to say anything to any of their friends, not wanting Trevor to find out.

Andrew hadn't even told Jade he was on the hockey team, and when Jack mentioned that, she cried even more. Jade thought this was gonna somehow ruin Trevor's time on the team. Jack assured her it wouldn't, Jade having no other choice than to trust him on that.

" Hey", his head turning to the stairs immediately when he heard her voice. Jade had on a pair of his sweatpants and a t shirt, her clothes in hand.

She wandered to sit beside him, feeling awkward. " How do you feel?", he asked.

" Uh, not bad. Not going to one of Cole's parties again for awhile", Jade said, earning a small laugh from the boy beside her.

Jack cleared his throat, " Are you okay? Do you wanna talk about what happened last night?".

" I'm really embarrassed", she admitted as she felt her face get hot, " I was drunk and I probably overreacted a bit. Hopefully I didn't embarrass myself too much in front of you".

" Overreacted? Jade, no", Jack quickly said, " Andrew is a dick. He's also three years older than you, and made you uncomfortable. You didn't overreact at all. Please don't think that".

Jade sighed, " I shouldn't have been with him in the first place. It's my fault, I should've noticed".

" You didn't know he was like that, J. Andrew isn't a good guy, and I'm sorry I didn't say anything to you sooner".

" What do you mean? Did he say something to you?", Jade asked and turned her chair to face him fully.

Jacks shoulders dropped, " I overheard him say something about getting with you in the locker room, before the party".

" Jack"-

" No, I should've said something to you right after I heard that. If I had told you what he said, at least you would've known what his intentions were. It's my fault, J, I'm sorry", he said.

Jade shook her head, " It's not your fault. Andrew is just weird and a bad person, like you said".

" Well, I'm gonna kill him. I'm being serious", Jack said.

She smiled a bit, leaning over to his chair and wrapping her arms around his shoulders. Jack hugged her back tightly, his hand going up and down her back.

" Seems like you're always taking care of me after parties", Jade laughed.

Jack smiled and did a small shrug, " I like doing it. At least I know you're being taken care of in the best way possible, right?".

She smiled, " Right".

a/n

I have a math test
tmrw and I'm acc
failing it so😍