2

NATIONAL ANTHEM

Trevor walked into the basement of their home, seeing his sister sitting on the couch, watching something on the tv. " Um, get out. My friends are here", he said, Jade seeing the group of guys behind him. It was the same ones they drove to school earlier in the week.

" Well you didn't say you were having friends over", Jade argued. Trevor groaning and shoving her to the stairs. She looked at the group of boys, Jacks eyes meeting hers. Jade sent him a soft smile, Jacks cheeks going slightly pink. " Fine, have fun".

" God, she's annoying", Trevor complained. Cole and Alex sat on the couch, claiming the controllers to play games.

Jack chuckled, " She seems nice". Trevor looked at him, the blond boy smiling slightly and shrugging.

" Don't get any ideas", Trevor said. Jack didn't respond, Trevor playfully pushing him, " I'm serious, Hughes!".

Jade stood at the top of the stairs, listening to their conversation. She couldn't help but smile, before walking into the kitchen and grabbing her phone to text Emma to come over.

Once Emma arrived, the two decided to put the pool in the backyard to use, throwing on random bikinis from Jades collection and sitting on the tanning chairs. " Ok, I get that you're Trevor's sister, but is Jack going to keep staring at you?",

The younger Zegras hadn't even realized that Trevor and his friends were playing basketball with the net he'd gotten for Christmas, Jack randomly looking over at the girl. Jade shrugged, " If he wants to, then I guess so".

Emma chuckled at her best friend, " He's cute. You should go for it".

" Trevor would never in a million years let that happen".

" Who said he has to know?", Emma questioned. Jade looked over at her, a smirk on her best friends face.

Jade shook her head and smiled, " You're insane, Em. He would kill me, and kill him. Plus, they do everything together, it'd make it awkward for them".

" Clearly not, if Jack is being this open about it", Emma shrugged. Jade ignored her, continuing to soak up the last of the hot sun before it went away for the winter.

Jade never really considered boys. She's always been worried about school, and succeeding in that world rather than the ' love' world. Especially since she had an older brother, who would protect her from any guys since they were little, it wasn't really on her mind ever. Sure, she's had crushes, but she's never pursued them. Or they never meant anything serious. She wasn't saying she had a crush on Jack, since she barely knew him, but now that she was growing up, she thought about it more often.

" You're thinking about it, I can tell".

" Em, I'm not. I'm actually thinking about my science homework", Jade replied in a snarky tone. Emma shook her head and laughed, knowing she was lying.

Jack played basketball with the three guys, since they had an hour to kill before they had to head to the rink for practice. Their first game was in less than a week, and he was getting nervous. Obviously he knew he was good, since he was selected for the program, but he always doubted himself when he was nervous. " We should head out soon", Alex said, all of them agreeing.

The group of guys went inside, Trevor quickly going upstairs to grab his stuff, Alex and Cole grabbing the things they left in the basement. Jack sat at the counter on his phone, waiting for them all to come back. Emma practically forced Jade to go inside, the girl pretending to grab something from the fridge.

" Hey", she said to him, grabbing herself a glass to fill with water. The boy looked up from his phone, nervousness appearing on his phone.

" Hey", he said, clearing his throat. Jade smiled, being able to tell how nervous he was, " So, do you play any sports anything?".

She shook her head, " No, I leave that department to Trevor. Not really my thing". Jack hummed, Jade quickly finishing her water and placing the glass in the sink. " Well, have a good practice. See you at school?",

Jack nodded, " Yeah, see you at school".