7

NATIONAL ANTHEM

Jade worked her shift at the local grocery store near where she lived, wanting it to be over already as she had been stocking shelves for the last four hours. It was Thursday, and she had a science test tomorrow that she had to study for. Her shift didn't end until 9, meaning she wouldn't get home until around 9:30. The thought of it just annoyed her, the girl shaking her head as she continued her job.

" Jade?", a voice said from behind her.

Quickly turning her head, she saw Jack, with his mom.  " Hey Jack, hi Mrs. Hughes", she smiled.

Ellen waved at her, continuing to look for something on the shelf. " So, you're coming Saturday night right?".

" I don't know, maybe not".

Jack groaned, " Please come, for me? I'll make it fun for the both of us".

Jade smiled, " I'll think about it. You'll just have to wait and see if I show up".

" Alright, don't ruin the night for me by not coming".

" I'll try not too", she said to him. Jack nodded, leaving the girl to continue as he went off to find where his mom ended up.

Now that Jack had mentioned the two hanging out at the party, Jade knew she was gonna end up going. Emma already wanted to go, so she wouldn't have to convince her to tag along. Jades feelings toward Jack worried her, since he was Trevor's best friend. She knew Trevor wouldn't like it. He wouldn't stop them, but he would definitely be annoyed about it- in the beginning at least. This almost made her not want to go, and sort of back off from Jack. But, if the roles were reversed, she knew Trevor would not back off because of how his sister felt.

Trevor and Jade have always been close, the boy looking out for her at all times. She was glad to have him as her brother, since he was protective of her, but not to the point where he would stop her from doing things. Trevor didn't mind if she was with his friends, hanging out with guys, or things like that, because he was the same way. They were only a year apart, so it was easy for them to get along and hangout together.

After she finished her shift, Trevor picked her up on his way home from practice. " How was practice?".

" Alright", he shrugged, " We're gone almost all next week. Since we have a tournament Thursday to Saturday, but we leave Tuesday".

Jade nodded, " That'll be fun. Thanks for leaving me to deal with mom and dad alone", she joked.

Trevor laughed, the two getting out of the car and walking inside. " How's Emma?".

" Good, I think". He nodded, going upstairs to his room. Jade stood there, confused. He never asked about Emma, not because he didn't like her, but because he just never did. Jade shrugged, not wanting to think to deeply about it.

After showering, she grabbed her phone to FaceTime her best friend. Emma answered immediately, sitting at her desk, also getting ready for bed. " What's up".

" I'll go to the party Saturday, as long as we get ready at your house", Jade said.

Emma cheered happily, " Thank god. I was prepared to drag you there myself. What made you wanna go?".

" Nothing really. Just something to do", Jade shrugged.

" Sure it wasn't something to do with Jack?", Emma said, raising her eyebrows.

The brunette laughed, " How do you know this stuff?".

" Just a guess".

" Yeah, well. Oh, also, Trevor asked me how you were today?", Jade said with a weird face, " Random, don't you think?".

Emma looked at her weirdly, " That's weird. When does he ever do that".

" Like, never. Maybe he has a thing for you", Jade teased.

" Oh god. If that were true, you would probably never talk to me again", Emma shook her head.

Jade shrugged, " No, I wouldn't really care. I mean, as long as you still hung out with me, what's the problem".

Emma sat there for a moment, " Hm. Good to know".

" Oh! So you do have a thing for him", Jade laughed.

" No, not really. Just good to know, in general".

Jade smirked at her best friend, Emma rolling her eyes and denying it. " Well, you do you. I'm gonna go, see you tomorrow".

a/n

Trevor and Emma
would be so typical
of me, but like 😏