21. 𝔇𝔦𝔣𝔣𝔢𝔯𝔢𝔫𝔱 𝔙𝔦𝔢𝔴𝔰

After the incident with Hades and the barrier, everyone decided to postpone the celebration of the new VKs, and so we parted our ways - myself taking Liam to my home. Don't get me wrong, I love Mom and Dad's castle, but I love having my own place even more.

Now, Ben, Mal, and I are meeting with Mom, Dad, and FG to discuss the event yesterday. Dad starts, "I think we all know why we're here. The people are in a panic about Hades. He almost got out." FG pipes in, "Who knows what he would've done if he had escaped?"

Dad says, "We can't risk having another villain on the loose." Mal speaks up, "I really feel like this is my faults. I'm supposed to protect Auradon." Ben hurriedly says, "You did, you do protect Auradon." Dad states, "Every time we open the barrier, we're exposed to danger. Maleficent, Uma, Hades."

I subtly roll my eyes when Ben's phone goes off, causing him to step away to check it. He turns back, "Maleficent's scepter and the queen's crown have been stolen." FG gasps as Dad assumes, "Uma?" Ben says, "We don't know that, Dad." Mom speaks up, "When the people hear this, they will never wanna leave their houses. What do we tell them?"

I speak up, "We can't have them living in fear, but we also can't have them in the dark. We can send out a warning and tell everyone to be cautious. And if they spot something or someone suspicious, then they can call the local authorities. That's how situations like this were handled where I'm from."

Ben nods, "That's a good idea, Sis." Mom looks reluctant and turns to Mal, "Mal? What do we do? How do we keep evil out of Auradon?" Mal stays silent, Ben and I looking at her, "I think that there's only...one way to guarantee their safety. And I think that there...can't be anymore going in and out. I think that we have to close the barrier...forever."

Dad, and FG nod their heads as Mom just looks up at Dad, Ben and I immediately objecting, "No." Dad tries, "Son. Flower-" Ben turns and I look Dad dead in the eye, "No." Mal goes after Ben as he walks away, "Ben." He shakes his head, upset, "No, no, no, no."

Mal calls for him, "Ben. Hey. I do not want to take away your dream. Because it was so beautiful. And it is why I fell in love with you. But as King, and as Queen...what's our duty?" Ben replies, "To protect Auradon. But do you know what this would mean? All those kids? Are you prepared for that?"

Mal answers, "I know what it means...and no, I'm not prepared for it. I just think that we have no other choice." I hear Dad speak from behind me, "Son? Mal's right." Mal walks past me as she says, "I just don't think that we would forgive ourselves if something terrible happened."

I keep my gaze on the floor, keeping my anger in from what they're saying. "Marissa?" I look up at Ben, who looks at me intently, "What do you think?" I clear my throat, "Do you want my answer as your sister, or as your Royal Advisor?" He replies, "My Royal Advisor. I need logical statements."

I nod gratefully as if he said he wanted me to answer as his sister...that won't end well for anyone. I look him in the eye so he can see how serious I am, "I think closing the barrier forever is a mistake. Closing the barrier for good would mean that the Isle's condition would deteriorate rapidly. The barrier is opened for the ships that carry the necessities that the people need on the Isle.

"Everyone on the Isle will die if their only source of food and clean water is cut off. There are other ways to handle this situation, rather than just condemning the Isle as a whole - we just need to think of other ideas. Closing the barrier would be a cowards way out. We don't know where evil can come from; just as villains can turn good, heroes can turn evil. So, there is no definite way to prevent evil all together. All that can be done, is making sure we can defend against evil.

"You are King, not only of Auradon, but of the Isle. And as Mal has not been coronated, she is not yet Queen. You are the sole being who can make the final decision - even if it's against what others feel is the right thing to do. You can't please everyone and no matter what you choose to do, it will be a difficult decision.

"Think ahead: if you closed the barrier, and the repercussions happen...would you be able to look back just ten years from now and say, 'I'm glad I made that decision'? You need to use your head  and heart when you decide what to do."

I feel four pairs of eyes on the back of my head, but I focus on my brother, who subtly smiles thankfully at me, "Thank you, Marissa. Would you be able to make a list of some alternatives?" I smile at him and nod, "As you wish, my King."

I walk out of the room and hear as I turn the corner, "She's right. I won't close the barrier." I stop as I hear Dad begin, "Son-" Ben cuts him off, "No, Dad. With all due respect, I am King now. I will listen to different opinions, but the decision is up to me." I nod, proud of my brother as I mutter, "Well done, brother. Well done."