10. ℭ𝔬𝔯𝔬𝔫𝔞𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 𝔓𝔱. 2

A blast of magic is expelled from the wand, and I fight a grimace knowing it made a hole in the barrier surrounding the Isle. Everyone cowers back as FG walks down a few steps and exclaims, "Child, what are you doing?" Jane stares at her mother, trying to hold onto the wand that's going haywire, "If you won't make me beautiful, I'll do it myself!"

The wand continues to fight against Jane, causing me to grab Mal and pull her behind me as Ben does the same to me, keep us both behind him. Jane tries to use the out of control wand, "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo!" Dad yells as he tries to protect Mom and FG, "Take cover!"

Mal then darts forward and tries to wrestle the wand from her grip, Mom yelling, "Be careful, Mal!" Mal then rips the wand from Jane's hands, making her run to side as Mal holds the wand. Ben and I stand before her, "Mal, give me the wand." She looks conflicted but says, "Stand back."

Carlos, Evie, and Jay burst through the doors as Ben and I try to approach Mal, "It's okay." She says loudly, "Ben, Marissa, I said stand back!" Audrey steps forward, "I told you both so!" I turn to her, shockingly saying at the same time as Auntie Aurora, "You're not helping the situation!"

Evie, Jay, and Carlos make it close to us, "Let's go!" Jay backs up Carlos, "Revenge time." I look directly at Mal, keeping my gaze soft and without condescension, "You really want to do this?" Mal yells, "We have no choice, Marissa! Our parents..." Ben strongly states, "Your parents made their choice. Now you make yours."

I watch Mal as she looks torn, looking back at my parents and FG who patiently, yet cautiously wait. She then softly says, "I think I want to be good." Ben tells her, "You are good." She demands, "How do "you know that?" He says, "Because... Because I'm listening to my heart."

Mal looks to me and I nod in agreement, looking at her gently. She says, "I want to listen to my heart, too." Mal lowers the wand and turns to the other three, "And my heart is telling me that we are not our parents."
Looking at Jay she tells him, "I mean, stealing things doesn't make you happy. Tourney and victory pizza with the team makes you happy." Jay smiles as sounds of agreement are heard from others.

She then looks to Carlos, "And you, scratching Dude's belly makes you happy. Who would've thought?" Mal then turns to Evie, "And Evie, you do not have to play dumb to get a guy. You are so smart. And I don't want to take over the world with evil. It doesn't make me happy. I want to go to school. And be with Ben. Because Ben makes me really happy."

I nudge Ben softly before Mal turns back to the VKs, "Us being friends makes me really happy. Not destroying things. And we don't want to leave Marissa." I look at Mal stunned as she turns to me and continues, "You have been so kind, welcoming, and accepting to us that we can't help but love you. Like you said to me earlier, we're a family. And I want us to stay a family."

Jay, Carlos, and Evie all nod when I look at them, making me smile tearfully, resulting in Ben wrapping his arm around my shoulders and smiling proudly at me. Mal turns back extending her closed fist, "I choose good, you guys." A beat passes before Jay places his fist next to Mal's, "I choose good, too."

Evie smiles tearfully like me, putting her fist in too, "I choose good." Carlos speaks up, "So, just to be clear, we don't have to be worried about how really mad our parents will be? Because they're gonna be really, really mad." Quite a few softly chuckle as Ben steps forward, "Your parents can't reach you here." I then step forward next to my brother, repeating "what I told Mal moments ago, You're safe here. In every way."

Carlos looks relieved and puts his fist along with the others, "Okay, then. Good." Mal then turns to Ben and I, "Come on." We smile and then walk up and place our fists in with the VKs, as everyone starts to clap, only for a loud swoosh to be heard, causing everyone to cower once more.