5. 𝔄 𝔖𝔪𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔗𝔥𝔬𝔲𝔤𝔥𝔱

It's the middle of the night, and I'm laying in my bed watching TV when I get hungry. I reach for my snack drawer in my night stand, only to find it empty, groaning when I realize I forgot to replenish it. Pausing my show, I grab my fuzzy slippers and basket and sneak out to the kitchen and I get there at the same time as Lonnie

"Hey, Marissa! Why aren't you at Audrey's sleepover?" I pause, figuring out how to skirt around how I didn't want to be around Audrey tonight. "Oh, I just wanted some alone time tonight. It's been a while and I figured, 'why not relax as much as I can before coronation?'" She nods, "That's completely understandable. Well, we're all missing you tonight." I smile, "Thanks, Lonnie."

We then enter the kitchen, finding the VK's making cookies, Lonnie walking over as the girls cover the spell book, "There you are, Mal! I was looking for you. You know, all the girls want you to do their hair!" I smile at the boys as I walk past them to fill my basket with snacks from the pantry.

Lonnie looks into the mixing bowl, "Midnight snack, huh? Whatcha guys making?" Mal tries to play it off as I come around to grab some things by them, "Nothing special. Just cookies." Lonnie and I dip our fingers into the mix and taste it, causing the VK's to react, "Oh. No, no!/Wait, wait, wait!" We look at them weirdly, Lonnie saying, "What? We're not gonna double dip."

Evie asks cautiously, "Feel anything?" Mal follows up, "Yeah, like maybe it might be missing something?" Jay gets a thoughtful look before he flirts with us, "Hey there." We just stare at him unaffected and I just turn and grab more snacks as Lonnie tells them, "It could use some chips." Jay looks confused while the others exhale in relief, "Chips?"

Mal says, "And those are?" Lonnie looks back at them, "Chocolate chips. Just the most important food group. Wait, didn't your moms ever make you guys, like, chocolate chip cookies?" I freeze as I reach for Cheetos and slowly turn around, trying to get Lonnie to stop talking without the VK's noticing.

They all just look at her as she continues, "Like, when you're feeling sad, and they're fresh from the oven, with a big old glass of milk and she just make you laugh and puts everything into perspective and..." I look at all their downcast faces as does Lonnie, a frown on my face from knowing how their parents are.

Still not understanding, Lonnie asks them, "Why are you all looking at me like that?" Mal answers with a barely detectable tone of sadness, "It's just different where we're from." Lonnie says, "Yeah, I know. I just, you know, I thought... Even villains love their kids." They look even more sad, making my frown deepen even more.

I look at Lonnie and see the realization dawning on her, "Oh. How awful." A tear falls from her eye as she places her hands comfortingly on Mal's hand, who wipes Lonnie's tear and puts it into the batter. Mal tries to recover, "Yeah, well, big bummer, but we have to get these into the oven, so thank you so much for coming by. Really, really have a good night."

Lonnie turns back as we make for the exit, "Okay, okay." Mal says, "I'll see you both tomorrow. Evil dreams." Lonnie says as she leaves, "Good night." "Good night," Mal responds, "see you tomorrow." I go to leave as well but turn to the VK's before going through the door, "I'm sorry, to all of you for...growing up the way you have. I only hope we can change that for everyone else."

Evie stops me from leaving as she says, "Wait...everyone else?" The three other looks shocked at me as I tell them, "Yeah. Ben wants to bring over all the VK's from the isle to give them a shot like he has with you. We wanted to start with you four and gradually bring more to Auradon for a better life. You all are innocent and we want everyone to have a choice. There's always a choice.

"But when it comes to making the choice, I've always thought it best to listen to your heart as much as your head. Because while your head can be telling you to do one thing, your heart contains your true desires. Like your parents could tell you to do one thing - like to be a doctor, but your heart wants something different - to be a painter. You'll be happier following your heart and doing what you want to do, instead of doing what someone else wants you to do and wishing you hadn't in the first place."

I can see my words have struck a chord with them, the four of them exchanging looks and glancing at the cookie mix. I smile and take my leave, "Well, anyways, if any of you need a listening ear or just someone to sit with you so you're not alone, come and find me, yeah?" Carlos "smiles softly, "Definitely. Thanks, Marissa." I nod, "No, problem. G'night, guys."

They wave as I leave, "Good night!" Walking back to my room, I can only hope they ponder over what I said, because it's good to listen to your head...but sometimes you need to follow your heart, too.