7. 𝔅𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔦𝔫𝔤

Groaning and dragging my feet, I make my way to, ugh, Mr. Deley's class. Doug texted me and said it was of upmost importance and that I got there. I enter through the door to find Chad and Mr. Deley sitting there smugly, both of them not noticing me.

The students all glance at me and quickly turn back to their tests, hiding smiles and looking at the two unsuspecting males with mock pity. Evie looks at me with a pleading look and Doug gestures to Mr. Deley and Chad; making me realize what's happened.

The students all give their tests to Mr. Deley and leave the room one by one, so as to not disturb those still taking the test. I quietly chuckle as I see them all stand by the window with the door cracked, eagerly listening and peering in as if watching a Tourney game.

Once it's just Mr. Deley and Chad left - the two still not noticing me - I take out my phone and hit record on the voice app, logging their conversation as they begin to talk.

Mr. Deley starts, "Good work, Chad. I'm glad you were able to sneak that mirror from Evie's bag for me. I'm convinced it's enchanted. Those VK's are trouble, and that Evie girl isn't smart enough to have gotten that answer without cheating." I clench my fists as my blood begins to boil, especially when I see Evie's broken expression.

Chad chuckles, "Totally, Mr. Deley. It wasn't even that hard to take it. And once she fails, she'll be caught and be dealt with." Mr. Deley laughs, "I'd recommend expulsion. I would've stolen the mirror myself but, I already had a warning from Princess Marissa - whereas you don't."

"So, you think that getting someone else to do your dirty work for you nullifies my word?"

The two males snap their heads to me so quickly, that I'm stunned they didn't get whiplash. I stand there glaring at the two who gape like fish and look like they were caught with their hand in a cookie jar. "P-Princess Marissa! I can explain-"

I chuckle humorlessly, "Oh, I think you've explained enough. You had a suspicion, and instead of addressing it with Ben or myself - as we're the ones responsible for them - you decided to handle it your own way. A way that included theft of a persons personal property, and public humiliation.

"I hope you enjoy grading those tests because they will be your last. I gave you a warning that if you picked on Evie again, you would be fired. And given the fact of how you masterminded stealing one of her belongings, that only helps to elevate my case against you.

"The school will be better off without your sexist and bullying tendencies to the students. Evie is a bright girl and I'm confident in her that she passed her test. When you fairly grade her test and she passes, you will apologize to her, understand?"

Mr. Deley nods his now pale face and I turn to Chad, "As for you, Chad... I have another consequence for you. One you'll never see coming." He looks frightened and I turn and leave before he can say anything, stopping the recording after I leave the room.

I turn the corner and a body slams into me, the two of us stumbling as the person hugs me tightly. Seeing long blue hair, I know instantly it's Evie and hug her back. I hear soft sobs coming from her and feel tears falling onto my shoulder, "Thank you! Thank you so much!"

I smile even though she can't see it, "I won't let Mr. Deley degrade you or anyone else. Don't listen to what he said about you. You're a smart girl, and it's time he got it through his thick skull that women can be smarter than men."

We pull away and I wipe her tears away, "Now, if you'll excuse me, Evie, I need to work on Chad's consequence. I'll see you around." She laughs, "Okay. Bye, Marissa." I wave as I walk away, "Bye, Evie."

As I walk away, I take my phone and make a call, the other person answering after two rings,

  "Hello?"

"Hey, it's me!"

  "Marissa! Hi, darling! You're on speaker!"

  "Hey, Princess! How are you? What can we do for you?"

"Auntie Cindy, Uncle Charming, I've got something to tell you. It's about Chad."

~~~

Later after lunch, I'm met by Evie and Mal who both seem to be in a rush, "Marissa!" I smile at them, "Hey, guys! What's going on?" An examination booklet is then shoved in my line of sight with Evie's name and a B+ on it, causing a smile to appear on my face and I hug the blue-haired girl. "Yay! Congratulations, Evie! I knew you could do it!"

She smiles, "You and Doug both did. I can't thank you enough." I shrug, "It's no problem. Now, where are you two headed to in such a hurry?" Mal takes a breath, "Ben asked me out on a date... And I...need help getting ready from you and Evie."

I raise my brows, "He asked you on your first date together? It's about time. I've been watching him drool over you ever since you got here." The two girls look at me stunned, "What?"

I smirk, "My big brother has been enamored by you since he saw you. His eyes haven't sparkled the way they do when he looks at you in a long time." Mal tries to laugh, but I see the panic in her eyes, while Evie fights a smirk, "Really?" I nod, "Yup. Now let's go get you ready!"

~~~

After much resistance and arguments from Mal, Evie and I are finally putting the finishing touches on Mal's look. "Okay. Easy on the blush. I don't want to scare him away. Not that I could." Evie silently scoffs, "Please. My mom taught me how to apply blush before I could talk. Always use upward strokes."

Mal replies, "My mom was never really big on make-up tips. I never had a sister." Evie says, "Well, now you do. We're gonna need all the family we can get if we don't pull this off. My mother's not a barrel of laughs when she doesn't get her way. Just ask Snow White."

I frown in psuedo-confusion, "Pull what off?" The two freeze, "Um, pull off...our... schooling... " I nod slowly and smile sympathetically, the two of them smiling back. Mal asks Evie, "Are you afraid of her?" Evie replies, "Sometimes. Are you afraid of your mom?"

Mal takes a moment, "I just really want her to be proud of me. She gets so angry with me when I disappoint her. And... Yeah, she's my mom, so I know she loves me in her own way." Evie and I smile at her and exchange looks before we each take one of her hands, "Moving on. Come see."

Mal smiles, "Are we done?" Evie nods, "Yeah." We lead her to the mirror, and she laughs in surprise, "Whoa." Evie and I smile from behind her, "We know." Mal continues to stare into the mirror, "I look..." Evie smiles, "Say it."

Mal says, "Not hideous." Evie shakes her head, "Not even close." I pipe in, resting my chin on her shoulder, "You look beautiful." She smiles at me gratefully and the three of us laugh together when there's a knock on the door. We all look at each other and Mal goes and answers the door, revealing Ben standing there.

I watch and smile as Ben looks enchanted by her, "For the first time, I understand the difference between pretty and beautiful." I nod in approval as I think to myself, 'Nice job, Benny-boy.' He looks to the helmets he carries and says, "I hope you like bikes."

Mal takes the helmet and they leave, Evie closing the door before turning back to me and squealing, "They're so cute together!" I chuckle and nod, "They are, aren't they? Like you and Doug..." She blushes and tries to brush it off, "W-What?"

I raise a brow, "Doug's one of my best friends. He tells me everything and talks about you all the time." She smiles, "He does?" I smile and nod, "Yep. He goes on and on about how smart you are, how excited you get over school, and how beautiful he thinks you are inside and out."

She smiles at me and we continue to talk for a while until I decide to check up on the boys. I get to their dorm and knock on the door, Carlos answering as Jay plays on the gaming station, "Hey, boys." Carlos and Jay greet me back, "Hey, Marissa!" "Hey, what's up?"

Carlos lets me in and I say, "I just wanted to see how you guys were doing, or if you guys were busy. I wanted to hang out with you two." They share looks and shrug, "Yeah, sure." "You good at games?" I playfully scoff, "Are you kidding? I'm a pro at games."

And that's how I spent the rest of the night. Playing games, laughing, and eating with the two VK boys who are becoming like family to me.