O N E

ADVIK

"It's Diwali, at least visit us." Maa said from other side of the phone.

I blow thick air out of my mouth and turned the lights on. Throwing my formal tie on bed, I waited impatiently for her to end the call.

"I've seen this beautiful girl for you-"

"Bye Maa." I cut her in middle.

Glancing at my watch, I decided to cook something. It was already half past eight and my stomach was on the edge of committing suicide.

"Your father wants you to get married so that we can peacefully visit all the sacred places." She said, lovingly.

I cracked a laugh and ended the call.

We always have two paths, don't we? I wish I knew earlier about that other one. I would've not regretted being what I am today.

I made plain yellow lentil stew and white rice. It tasted horrible yet far better than the nine to five job which I survive every day.

"Aur mere Engineer sahab? (How are you Mr. Engineer?) Nikhil entered into the room and ran his eyes over the food..

"Fuck off, you're saying as if I am graduated from some IIT or NIT."

He laughed at my sudden crankiness and shoved his middle finger in the air.

"Dude, we don't do IIT shit, we're private college graduates. We have our own shit to deal with." He laughed, again.

I looked at him for a second. We've been sharing flat since a year, still I am unable to understand that how come he's okay with everything?

"Fuck off." I whispered.

He clicked his tongue and tried to pull my cheeks. Key word: Tried. But before that could happen, I maintained a breathable distance from him.

"Get laid man! Find a girl and enjoy your life."

"Maa called today. She said that my father wants me to get married."

"Really?" He raised his eyebrows.

I shrugged my shoulders.

"Advik." He called out my name.

"Mhmm."

"Do invite me to your wedding bro." And with that he started laughing all over again.

Right.