Ph4 Ch5: The Delicate Flowers

How the kingdom had changed. What was once an infected, diseased nightmare, was now an ember of a once shining light. But it was not without hope. The bugs were now free, and the people were beginning to recover. Whatever embers were left were being supplied with fresh kindling, leading it up to large, dry logs to catch on to.

Everyone had gone their separate ways, nothing was left to fight, but there was still one thing the knight had to do. Not because it was required, but for the sole reason that it wanted to do it.

Walking through the Queen's Gardens, the knight found its way the the grave of the traitor's child, overgrown with flowers with delicate, white petals. The knight grabbed as many as possible, leaving two to grow into more.

The first destination was already here, in the gardens, and was possibly the most dangerous. Hopping on falling platforms, avoiding the fall into the thorns beneath, the knight made its way to the arena of the Traitor Lord. Next to his corpse, was the body of Cloth, who gave her life to finish him. The knight placed a delicate flower on her body, honoring her bravery and strength.

Its next destination was Deepnest. Not usually the place for such fragile lights, but no longer as dangerous as before. The spiders and crawlers of Deepnest parted for the knight, not laying a single claw on it, or its package of petals. Plenty of spikes blocked the way, but nothing was impassable.

After a long walk, the knight reached the distant village, and entered the largest home. Climbing its way through the webs and silk, it finally reached the stone plinth of Herrah. A delicate flower was placed atop, and the knight left for the next place.

Leaping into the black waters below, the knight reached the lower levels of Deepnest, and made its way to the tram. It rode to the Ancient Basin, traveling to the corpse of its lost kin. Once it was there, it layed a delicate flower on the shell, and left for the abyss.

Traveling down to the deepest depths, careful not to fall on any spikes, the knight reached the sealed entrance to the birthplace. In the center of the broken shells, it left a delicate flower, in hopes its siblings would appreciate it.

Climbing up and out of the abyss, the knight climbed out of the basin via the elevator shaft to the city. Pale, and full of tears, the city was no less hopeful than the rest of the kingdom. Bugs were beginning to rebuild, and the deformed people were being rehabilitated.

The knight went to the Spire first, taking the elevators up to the very top, where the stone plinth of Lurien stood. The bug that was once hus butler welcomed the knight, and welcomed the delicate flower for his deceased master even more.

Once the knight left the Spire, it headed for the city center. It began reminiscing about the time it and Mono worked together to stop the Radiant Signal Tower, and the victory they achieved. In the ruins, it set down a flower not for Mono, but for every Mono that the Signal Tower used and enslaved.

The knight took the next available elevator to the resting grounds, where it traveled to the hut of the Seer. The Radiance would be forgotten, but the knight wanted to moths to be remembered. It left a flower where the Seer last sat, and left for the lake.

It sat by the nail, left behind. The knight remembered that calming moment, the last moment it had with its friend Quirrel. Although he had already found peace, the knight was certain that he would appreciate the delicate flower, from even beyond the grave.

The knight flew across the lake with the crystal heart, and walked through the crossroads to its next destination. It walked to the farthest edge, and jumped in the acid, where Isma's tear protected both it, and the remaining flowers.

Stepping into Fog Canyon, the knight made its way to the teacher's archives, while being careful not to touch any jellyfish. It entered the archives, and made its way to the tank where Monomon slept. As the only dreamer that the knight knew for sure welcomed the seals breaking, it payed respect with one of the flowers.

The knight made the long climb to Greenpath, where it left into the Howling Cliffs. The Maw was still resting at the bay, but that was a trip for later. For now, the knight climbed to the cave where the Nightmare Lantern had been lit, and left a flower next to it. Perhaps it would help the Grimmchild, in both moving on, and keeping its promise to Seven.

Now the knight headed to the Maw. A place where it had only bad memories, but with two important destinations. First, the knight used the elevator to reach the home of the Nomes. They all scurried away, afraid of the knight, but once they saw the flower it had for them, they crept out of the shadows they hid in.

The knight took the elevator down further, to the Mantis quarters. It walked through the village, hoping to find Six, but she was off somewhere else. Without being able to find her, the knight left a flower by her door, hoping she'd find it. The knight then left the Maw, but before it left for its next destination, it set a flower in the ocean. The flower floated away, perhaps to the children who perished, or to the children still alive, and in need of hope.

The knight climbed the cliffs, and used the crystal heart to arrive in Dirtmouth. Near the town's entrance, a memorial for Seven was built, for all who entered to see. The knight left him a flower, and descended down the well.

It walked to the left, and reached the temple of the black egg. It was empty, due to the Hollow Knight becoming a vessel for the Signal Tower, but it was still the resting grounds of the knight's deceased sibling. The knight entered, finding nothing but broken chains that once held the chosen vessel. The knight placed a delicate flower in the temples center, saying goodbye to its sibling, one last time.

Only one flower was left now, and the knight knew where to put it. It traveled further to the left, where it reached the entrance to the crystal peaks. Instead of taking the elevator, it entered a small tunnel. There it found Myla the only bug it couldn't wake up from the light. It layed the final delicate flower over her, and left in silence.

With no more flowers, there was one final thing to do. The knight climbed through the caves of the peaks, all the way to the top, yo Hallownest's Crown. At the very edge was the only remaining image of the Radiance. The only thing she had left in her memory.

With a swift, strong strike of its nail, the knight sent the statue off the cliffs, shattering it on the crystals below. There was nothing left. Nothing of the Radiance at all.

Then, the knight sat. At the peak of the Crown, where it could see all, it began to think. It thought back to the time it last was able to think, and began to wonder.

Was it ever truly hollow?

Perhaps it was, at some point, but then it remembered its sibling. The chosen vessel, tarnished by an idea instilled. Not born with, instilled. The knight remembered its adventures, its friends, and its memories. The feelings they all shared, and the bond they all formed. Then the knight had the most peculiar thought.

Could its friends have instilled it with friendship?

The knight, atop the peak allowed the thought to be instilled, and it welcomed it. As it remembered more and more of the adventure, it pulled out its quill, and a sheet of paper, and began to write down every thought it had.

A little boy, looking for his missing friend. A paper bag over his face, looking to make amends.

A little knight, behind a shell, and hollow soul. Nor beast nor bug, with no voice, and void control.

A runaway child, revived into a dream. Traveling to complete his task, by any means.

A newborn child, born into chains. Wandering and searching. Feasting on flames.

A little girl, in a golden coat. Filled with hunger, trapped in a nightmare boat.

A lone spider, armed with silk and thread. Seeking peace with herself, on the road ahead.

Embark on adventure, filled with fear and scares. When in darkness, for each other you must care. Never give up, never fall into despair,

For you will make Little Dreams, from these Hollow Nightmares.

The End