Thirty Three

Thor

The two bed motel was where we'd tried to get comfortable throughout the night, but personally I just couldn't.

The beds were obnoxiously creaky and when someone moved ever so slightly above us, the stipple material from the ceiling fell on my head like bits of popcorn kernels.

So maybe yeah, I wasn't too stoked that Slumden's only motel was far from luxury, but I was happy to finally recline my body in a horizontal position and get some proper shuteye.

The room was pitch black except for a green light on the complementary coffee maker, indicating it was ready.

I stare at the light, trying to lull myself to sleep.

Danny was fast asleep by now—she'd plummeted on her bed as soon as we'd got to the motel, not even taking her wet clothes off.

Within minutes, she'd passed out across her bed and I'd tucked her in, taken her shoes off and snugged a pillow under her head.

I'd truly never seen her so exhausted.

Closing my eyes, I try reminiscing about how peaceful she looked a couple hours ago; her lips slightly open and her breathing hoarse.

She was so adorable when she—

A buzzing sound scared the living shit out of me.

My phone shook violently on my bedside table and I grab it in a rush, afraid to wake Danny.

Marshall was calling.

She never calls me.

I pick up, incredibly groggy and mad at how bright my phone screen was.

"There better be a good reason you're calling me at 3 in the fucking morning, Marshall."

"Is Ri there?"

"You have her phone number—and she's sleeping, just call back later."

I hang up and place my phone back on my side table.

Then the buzzing starts again.

I internally groan, snatch it and hit green.

"Marshall! Let me sleep!" I whisper-shout.

"Is she there?!"

"Oh my God, YES! Yes, she is! So, what do you want with me!?"

"Well, her location says otherwise."

"What? That makes no sense."

"You're lodging at the Slumden Motel, right?"

I frown, not recalling ever telling her where we would stay once we got to Slumden.

"Yeah...how'd you know that?"

"I have your location as well and Danny's phone isn't anywhere near the motel."

"Shit—maybe she dropped it on our way here."