Thirteen

Three years ago, October 31st, 2018.

~~~~

Phoenix

''I better be hearing good things this term, Phoenix. I don't need another teacher talking about how I didn't raise my kid properly.''

''School's about getting good grades as well, you know.''

My mother glares at me before taking a swig of wine out of the second glass she's poured herself this morning.

''Dad's not coming as usual, right?''

''He's mayor now, pipsqueak. Of course, he's not coming. It's a busy season for him.''

''Am I allowed to come?''

My little sister sat on the couch, toy in hand and eyes pleading.

''Ama, you're too young. This conference is for grown-ups.''

''Fee-Fee isn't a grown-up and he gets to go.''

''He needs to be present, Ama; I'm going to be talking to the teachers about his school performance.''

''No Mom, wait--let her come.''

My Mom frowns and folds her arms.

''Pheonix, I don't have the energy to put up with Amalia while talking about you to your teachers. The babysitter lives close by; I can give her a call.''

''Come on, Mom--it could give her perspective on how to behave in school.''

''She's in Grade 1, Phoenix, and frankly, she doesn't need you, of all people, to set an example for her. ''

''Let her get out a bit. She doesn't go anywhere besides school and home anyway. Plus, I think her presence might make teachers hate me a little less.''

My mother looks between Ama and me, then rolls her eyes in defeat.

''Fine. Both of you get in the car. We better not be late for our time slot.''

~~~~

Martie

''So she just left with your your truck and didn't tell you where she was going?''

Thor and I were in the hallway just before lunch at our usual meetup spot.

This was our tradition since he was gifted the smelly matte black truck in 9th grade. We'd meet up at Thor's locker at lunch then eat in the cargo bed because of how spacious it is.

''Pretty much.'' Thor shrugs, grabs his books and shuts his locker.

''You're an idiot.''

''Why am I the idiot?''

''Because you didn't ask where the fuck she was going.''

''Actually, I did! So suck on an egg!''

''Thor, it's lunch, and Riordan still isn't back from wherever she went with your truck.''

''I'm sure she'll be back soon; she probably got held up by traffic.''

I check my phone for any messages from Riordan..