Five

Riordan

I'm freezing.

My stomach twists itself tighter with each step I make through Cyrus Dean.

Nobody was here; the resemblance of a proverbial ghost town.

Bloody handprints cover the walls. But they were no ordinary handprints. They were blue.

I knew it was blood, there was no mistaking it. It dripped from the walls, blanketed the hallways, and left a coppery smell that followed me wherever I went.

And it was still fresh.

Freshly spilled, blue blood.

Before I could catch my breath, the bell rang, ripping me away from my vision.

I raise my head to see my Math teacher standing in front of me, clearly concerned. ''Riordan?''

Students slowly trickled out of class. Mr. Casey must've thought I fell asleep at my desk, which seems like the best excuse to give in this situation.

I yawn and stretch for effect.

''Does my class bore you, Miss. Roche?''

''It doesn't, usually. Being your highest-ranking student costs me quite a bit of shuteye.''

''I was afraid you were having a seizure. I'm glad to know that your wit is still intact,'' He says dryly, ''You can leave now.''

I beam at him and start packing my things up. Before I get up, he calls after me. ''Yes, Mr. Casey?''

''I think you have someone waiting for you out in the hallway.'' He gestures towards the door.

''Thanks. Have a good night!''

''Same to you.''

As soon as I walk out of the classroom, I'm greeted with so much energy, it made me recoil.

''Hi.''

Phoenix.

''Hello?''

''Remember me?'' He smirks.

''No. Now move.''

He blocks my path.

''We're gonna be late for practice.''

He shifts again and I nearly scream when I see a small figure appear behind him.

''Whoa, you okay?''

I clear my throat and look back up at him. ''I'm fine.''

''You're such a bad liar. You look like you've seen a ghost.''

Because I think I just did.

A little girl, waving in and out of tangibility, hid behind Phoenix's leg. It took me everything in my power not to speed off.

I almost didn't notice her because of how transparent she was.

''Hellooooo? Eyes up here,'' he gestures to his eyes and smiles. ''You get distracted easily. Anyways, I wanted to know if you were still down for my party this weekend. I'm moving across town by myself into a new apartment and I thought it would be sweet to have one last one at my parents' place. You know, before I leave? They're out of town right now.''

''I-i...'' I look down at the girl again. She was just...staring at me. Her eyes were so...dead yet inquisitive.

''What the heck are you looking at?'' Phoenix turns around and I face him back to me swiftly, ''Nothing! Just thought I saw a bug. A...rare bug.''