Twenty

Thor

"Look, I know you're mad at me—"

"Why're you still here, Daniel?"

God, I hate when she calls me that. We'd both gotten up from the floor with her now sitting on her desk chair while I lean against her closet door.

"Because I want to make sure you're okay."

She raises her eyebrows in surprise and gestures towards her body up and down before placing her hands on her hips. It was a dreaded mistake letting my eyes wander over her body like that.

She's literally covered in ink vomit. Get a grip.

"I mean mentally. Today's a new kid, right?"

She stays quiet for a brief moment before speaking.

"I'll handle it myself, Thor. You can leave."

I join her at her table, taking a seat on the surface.

"Danny, come on. I know we didn't leave our last conversation on the best note, but you can't do this alone—you'll never have to do this alone."

''And what if I want that to change, huh? I'm sick of dragging you guys into my business. It just gives you more reason to judge my actions, anyway.''

''But that's just it--we hold you accountable for things you need to be held accountable for. We're here to support you.''

She shakes her head and looks at her wall, ''I don't deserve that.''

My chest ached. How could someone as amazing as she is see herself so negatively to the point where she believes she doesn't deserve help?

''Remember in 9th grade when Juney Ryler tried to beat Martie up because they were a raging homophobe?''

''Fucking Juney.''

''You stood up to her. You came home with a busted lip after self-proclaiming yourself to Juney as an ally.''

She turns her gaze to me.

''And Mel Houser--the 5th-grade kid that ruined any chance of me having friends by spreading bullshit about me? You ruined his teeth and we became friends that same day. Let's not forget when in 7th grade Martie and I got detention for starting a paint fight in art class. You willingly hung out with us in detention for a month even though you weren't involved.''

''What're you trying to get at Thor?''

''I'm trying to say that you've been there for us. Countless times, even when we don't deserve it. You have to accept us doing the same for you. There's nothing we'd be happily doing than spending time with you, Riordan. We're your family. It's always been you, me, and Martie.''

Even though it feels like it's always been us.

Danny crosses her arms and looks at the ceiling.

''His name is Christian.''

~~~

Riordan