Chapter 11

Caera Denoir POV

I lay down in my bed, staring at the blank black ceiling of my room. It has been two days since the argument with my adoptive family, and I haven't come out once. Sevren had come by to try to check up on me, but I didn't want to see him. Callum would shoo him away, so I didn't need to speak with him. Sevren refused once, saying he wanted to see me, and Callum nearly bit his head off.

Callum, who wasn't currently in my room, had been caring for me the entire time. He brought me food and water so I didn't have to leave the room. He asked about the meeting once, but I told him I didn't want to discuss it. It felt a little childish to hide in my room, but I didn't care. I just wanted to lay here and forget about everything that happened.

Laying my arm across my face, covering my eyes, my lips stretched in a small smile as images of Callum appeared. He was someone who was always there and took care of me when I was younger until the damn Vritra took him away. And he's still watching out for me even now. I love how caring and protective he is of me.

I took my arm off my face and sat up in bed. I bent my legs and hugged my knees to my chest. I rested my chin on my knees and sighed, feeling slightly down from recent events.

The sound of someone knocking got my attention, and I looked toward the door. The door opened, and I smiled as Callum peeked his head in.

Callum smiled back when our eyes met, "Oh good, you're awake."

Callum walked into the room and closed the door behind him. He was wearing a simple white T-shirt, black pants, and black leather thigh-high boots.

I let go of my legs and turned my body to face Callum. I placed my palms flat on the mattress, letting my legs hang over the side with my feet touching the floor.

"I've been awake for a while. I couldn't go back to sleep," I shrugged. I tilted my head slightly, looking at Callum curiously, "Where have you been? You weren't here when I woke up."

Callum had been sleeping in the same room as me, though he slept on the couch. He said it would be slightly inappropriate to share a bed with me. In truth, I think he didn't want me to believe he was trying to take advantage of me because of my emotional state. I was distraught after the argument and not in the right mindset; who knows what could've happened between us.

Callum walked over to the bed and sat down beside me. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and held me close. He rubbed my shoulder reassuringly with his hand, "Sorry, I was busy with something."

I leaned my head down and laid in against his shoulder. I smiled, feeling better from his simple embrace. 

"What were you busy with?" I asked as I shifted my head slightly and looked up.

I met his beautiful golden eyes as he smiled warmly at me. He lifted his free hand, gently brushed a lock of my hair out of my face, and tucked it behind my ear. My smile widened slightly, and my face felt warm.

"Why don't you get up, and I'll show you," Callum suggested.

I raised a brow, not sure I wanted another surprise, "Why can't you just tell me?"

"If I tell you, that would ruin the purpose of me showing you," Callum chuckled.

I gave a small laugh, but my smile soon faded. My gaze fell, and I shrugged, "I don't know. I don't really feel like leaving my room."

"Caera," Callum lightly grabbed my chin and lifted my head. I raised my gaze and looked into his eyes. "If I have to pick your fine little ass up and carry you to the shower and wash you myself, I will. I'm taking you out of your room."