Chapter 26

Chris POV

She is back. Maya is back.

I was out of words. What could I tell her? Should I tell her that I wish I had never met her? I couldn't, and I shouldn't.

"I am sorry." Words came out late while she was wondering why I looked so dejected.

She asked the same question again: "Are you okay?"

"No!" A monochrome reply is all I gave. But she looked so disturbed. Her eyes suddenly became moist. She kneeled before me, and I could sense that she desperately wanted to hug and ease me. Ease my pain. But she didn't.

She said, "Let's go home," holding my hands.

I took her hands, and her way of loving felt unique. Something that I could crave all day forever from now on. But that felt wrong.

Still, I followed her. She took me to her home instead of mine. That's when I noticed that she still had her backpack on, and maybe just now she got home after a week.

"Drink," she said, handing me a glass of water while sitting far next to me on the sofa.

"Sorry." I could have said thank you instead. But I was waiting for a week to say sorry. So it came out first.

"What are you so sorry about?" I could sense a hint of anger in her words.

"About that day..." I said in a low voice.

"What's so wrong about it? You didn't murder anyone to feel so sorry about." She blurted.

"But it made you run away from..." I gulped 'me' before saying, because I was no one, and who am I to tell that?

"Is it solely because of me?" She asked.

"What?"

"You know, I know. Zaara is the sole reason. Your love for Zaara is what's making you feel so guilty."

"No."

"What else stopped that kiss?" She is daring to ask that question.

"Rohan's love towards you."

"What? When?" She was shocked by my words.

"I guess not now. But back then, he had a crush on you."

She got up from the sofa and walked back and forth for a minute. After processing my words, she kind of looked relieved, and that disturbed me.

"Hmmm. Okay..." She dragged out the words like she was still processing something in the background.

"What's okay?" I tried not to sound rude, but it showed a hint of anger.

"If Rohan's love is what stopped that kiss, it sounds reasonable. Maybe it's right that we didn't kiss." She looked super relieved.

But why?

"I don't think he still loves you."

"If he does?" She asked with a smile. Finally, her mood lightened, but I was annoyed. Because Rohan was the reason behind that smile. Not me.

I wanted to be the reason behind that smile. But who am I to think this? I don't possess her to feel possessive.

"If he still loves me, will it bother you?" She tried to look into my eyes and find the truth.

But I wanted to conceal it. So I turned away and said, "No. It won't."

Author's Note:

Who should end up with Chris? Maya or Zaara?