Chapter 23

Zaara's POV

I was not in the mood to go and say hi to him. Also, he didn't deserve it. So I just tried to keep myself away from his sight.

But it was hard. He caught sight of me. I could sense that, but still, I tried to pretend that I never noticed him.

I ordered a masala puri and went to a corner seat to keep myself away from his sight. But I couldn't. He walked straight to me and asked, "Can I sit here?"

I could have said no, but I am not that type. I never raised my voice for myself. So I just nodded my head.

"That day..." He started talking about that kiss. That kiss didn't hurt me in any way. Or maybe it did. I was hurt to know he lost interest in me. Or maybe I was relieved to know that I could pursue Rohan without regrets. It had a mixed feel that could not be easily articulated.

I surely gave a disgusting look to his words, which stopped his words for a few seconds.

"Whatever you think happened didn't happen. I made mistakes, for which I am sorry. But I didn't...." He paused for a moment before continuing to talk. "..kiss her."

I didn't want to talk about that kiss. So I tried to ask a less important question. "Is she your friend?"

"Nooo." His voice was low, and he was feeling awkward saying that.

"Then?" I really wanted to know the person who disturbed the hearts of my two handsome neighbor boys.

"Neighbour. I knew her just for a day." He said it with guilt.

So you are ready to kiss a girl who you knew just for a day?

"So she is nothing to you." That statement sounded like a question.

"No. Yes. No.." He switched his answer every second, and that made me realize that he was still under her spell.

"Okay." I said it with a blunt expression. I really didn't care. I was already a pure mess. I didn't want to involve myself in this mess either.

"I like to clear things out. I want to make the air lighter around us. It's suffocating." He said that and gulped a glass of water before continuing to talk. 

"She always sounds like a long-lost friend to me, or maybe to everyone, I guess. Within a day, she appeared so familiar to me. So...."

You are in love with her?

"She can be my friend in the future." I didn't expect that ending.

"You may love her in the future. It's not a big deal." I blurted.

"No. No. No. Rohan is interested in her."

That hurts.

"Maybe she is interested in me." He took a small breath to muster the courage and added, "Maybe I am interested in you."

I didn't know what to say. But he didn't look for a reply. He didn't look happy or nervous, either.

With a sad expression, he said, "Or maybe everything is in the past."

So now no one is interested in me.

He made the air much denser by trying to fix it. When I started to feel more and more suffocating, masala puri came to ease my heart, brain, and tummy.