Chapter 22

Zaara's POV

After a hectic day, I came home. Meeting him was itself awkward at that point in time. But I can never be away from him. Not in my work. Not at home. And not even in my dreams. He invaded my life.

I went straight to my room and laid on my bed. I couldn't stop thinking, even if I wanted to. My thoughts drifted to him.

So now I am friends with him?

The days are moving in a way that I hesitate to experience. I just wanted to go through all these shoes to find out whether they were worth it.

Is all this mess going to finally take me closer to love, or is this just a mess that's purely a mess?

Is my love...

Tring tring...

Minta's call silenced my thoughts for a moment. I attended the call because I didn't want to go mad at my inner voices.

"Hey! Did everything go well? Did he resign?" Minta asked.

"Nope. Now we are friends."

"Are you okay with it?" Minta asked with concern.

"Mmmm..." I was thinking of an answer while my mom started shouting in the background.

"You haven't even changed, you're just lying in bed and talking on the phone. Should I say everything? You call yourself a teacher."

"Bye.. Call you later." I disconnected the call as I couldn't let anyone know what I was exactly going through.

My mom is a person of few words. She talks only when it's needed. But yelling at me is all she needs. She probably needed that to survive.

I freshened up, changed my dress, and sneaked into the kitchen to find the lunch menu.

I opened one to witness what I could eat. The first pot with Sambhar was made yesterday morning. I opened another that ended up as the upma made that morning. I was hopeless because I knew about my mom. Maybe no lunch for today. But still, I opened and raided the whole kitchen to find out that today's a day of leftovers.

I just wanted to eat something good as I was mentally drained. I like to eat when things are not right. Maybe that's the only way to survive in this home.

I decided to make some fried rice with the half alive veggies that have been waiting for weeks to be picked up by someone. I took some veggies and dragged the vegetable cutter out of the shelf. My mom noticed it and rushed inside.

"Can't you eat what's in here?"

"Nothing is here." I said it out of anger, but in a low voice. I don't want to be killed by my mom.

"We are alive, eating this. And also, you can't cook in my kitchen. You will make a mess." 

It's already super messy.

I can clean up my mess. But I could never win an argument with her. But still, I wanted to give it a try.

"I will..." She chopped my words and said, "No."

I could argue more, but this could never bring joy, no matter whether I win the argument or not.

I took my wallet and flew to the nearby chat shop, where I witnessed Chris.

Devil at home and vampire in the shop. Shiiiiii...