Chapter 24

Chris's POV

"I am home." I said while entering the doors to bring Rohan downstairs.

"What have you bought for dinner? I am already super hungry." Rohan said it casually. He started to act like his old self. The tension was almost absent, and he didn't even behave like he remembered any of that.

"Masala Puri, your favorite." After uttering that, I suddenly realized Zaara also ate Masala Puri. Maybe she too loves that.

"For you?"

"I ate Pani Puri." I said, but I should spill more details.

I ate with her. I had my dinner with Zaara.

It was not exciting, but definitely some strings in my heart were triggered.

"Is there something you want to say?" Rohan could easily read my facial expressions.

I framed my words in my mind for a fraction of a second before spelling them out. "I accidentally met Zaara. We talked while having dinner to clear the air between us."

I didn't want any of those girls to come between our friendships. But I couldn't tell, as it sounded cliche.

"I too met her today in school. We are good friends now." Rohan told it in a casual tone while unpacking the Masala Puri from its parcel.

"Hmm. Okay!" I didn't know what else to say. I didn't have the power to stop them from meeting each other. Deep down, I didn't want them to meet at all. But who am I to say that?

I already made a mess with Maaya, and she has not been found for days. Now with Zaara, I don't feel like doing anything for the time being.

While I was pondering my thoughts at the dining table, sitting opposite Rohan, he started talking: "I didn't see Maaya for the last 2 days. What happened to her?"

I might have scared her. So she ran away from me.

"Don't know."

"Did you call her?" Rohan asked, and that's when I realized I didn't even have her number.

"Nope. I don't have her number."

"Hmmm. Do you need Zaara's number?" He asked casually.

"Will she be okay with that?" I asked and realized I was talking like a shoe. So I just said, "Even if she is okay with it, I don't need anything right now. I am already feeling super guilty about what I did with Maya. So..."

"So..?" He asked, looking at me like he was not sure about what was running through my head.

"I am tired. Good night." I said that and got up from the dining table. I waved a good night to him before climbing the stairs.

I went to my room and laid down, thinking about the two girls who are in my life.

I have been crushing on Zaara for years, and the two-day thing with Maya messed everything up.

What I did with Maya was a mistake. But it felt like a mistake that I would repeat again and again. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't resist Maya and her magical charm on me. 

But I couldn't forget years of love for Zaara for a two-day thing.

It felt like Zaara's name etched on my heart was slowly pulled away by Maya.

The love for Zaara was slowly fading, like a distant echo.

Maybe because of her new bound friendship with Rohan, or because of my almost kiss with Maya, or maybe because I was done staring at my neighbor just because she looked like my childhood friend once.