Chapter 56 - The announcement

Ethan

I breathe in, counting to six, and hold it for a few seconds. Then I slowly release the breath.

Around me people are starting to arrive at the party of the season. My palms are sweaty and I'm slightly nauseous.

My parents refused to listen. I tried to get them to see it from my point of view, but mom was so intent on this party, I don't think anything could have stopped her. And dad just said he already had the contracts done up.

I straighten my shoulders. The neck of the shirt feels too tight and the jacket too restricting. But I don't fidget. Instead, I wait.

My mom is in hostess mode. She's welcoming people and making sure they all have drinks. Dad is off talking business somewhere. Or chasing down some shrimp appetizers.

When I finally see Antonia and her parents enter the venue, I get a surge of adrenaline. I down the last of my drink and put the glass on a passing tray. This is it. It's now or never.

As I approach them, I realize the tie I'm wearing is the exact pale blue of Antonia's dress. No doubt that was orchestrated by our mothers.

"Ethan." Aubrey is the first to spot me.

"Aubrey, Antonia. You both look lovely tonight."

"Thank you. The place looks almost unrecognizable. Your mother did a great job."

I smile at her.

"Mr. Pierce, Karl, could I have a word with you?"

Aubrey gives Antonia a wink and steers her away.

"Of course, Ethan. What's this about?"

"In private, if you don't mind." I gesture to some rooms I know are unoccupied.

Karl nods and we head off to the library. It's a dark room with beautiful books lining the walls and armchairs in clusters. I close the door after us and remind myself that it's now or never.

"You're not getting cold feet, are you?" Karl jokes.

"My feet were never warm to begin with."

The mirth falls from his face, and I can tell he's about to get angry. I gesture for him to sit down, and he reluctantly does. I sit perched on the edge of the dark green seat of the armchair.

"When this deal was made, Antonia and I were too young to understand what it meant."

He furrows his brows. "What are you saying?"

"I don't believe this is what Antonia wants. In fact, I'm sure of it. And I won't be going through with the engagement or the marriage."

His face slowly crumples and turns red. I can almost see the smoke coming out of his ears.

"Before you get angry," I hold up a hand, "I think we should have a frank discussion. Because we never have. All of this has been decided over my head. And while I was a minor, it was to be expected, I suppose. But I'm an adult now, and I refuse to live my life on somebody else's terms. And I know you don't care about me. But you do care about your daughter."

He harrumphs and sinks back a little, so I know I have his attention. At the very least, he'll hear me out. And right now, that's all I can ask for.

"I've discussed this with Antonia. And you need to know that she's perfectly willing to go through with this marriage. None of this has been her decision. None of it. But let me ask you an honest question. Don't you think Antonia would be much happier with someone who loves her, and that she loves back?"