Chapter 6 - Working at Lucky's

Lily

I manage to get a double shift on Saturday, so in the end I'm glad I didn't stay out any later. When I wake up, there's a smile on my lips. I can't believe Ethan Preston walked me home. He actually held my hand and asked for my number.

For a brief moment, as I'm getting ready, I regret not giving it to him. But no, there's no point. Ethan Preston is a hockey player. He's rich, popular and so fucking gorgeous. There's no overlap between our lives and I'm not sure I could be a one-night stand.

I do my best to push Ethan from my mind and focus on work. I'm finally getting the hang of it and I'm slowly learning how friendly to be with the customers to get good tips. It's a fine line sometimes. When it's a couple, you can't pay too much attention to the guy. If it's a group of guys, it's usually easier. But every once in a while, being friendly backfires and they think I'm flirting with them. Luckily, the other servers and the bartender all step in if things get uncomfortable.

By late evening, my feet are killing me. Ignoring them gets harder and harder. As soon as I have saved up enough money, I'm getting myself a good pair of comfortable shoes. But at the moment, shoes are a luxury. School supplies, food, rent and utilities have to come first. Maybe, if I'm lucky, my feet will get numb to the pain.

The only place I can save money is food, and I'm already eating as cheaply as possible. Even asking for leftover fries some nights. Free food is nice, and I love fries, but having them every day kind of kills the magic.

I roll my shoulders and head over to the next table. My smile is almost permanently glued to my face by now.

"What can I get you?" I ask, and bring out my pen and notepad. As I look up, I freeze.

"You must really be desperate for money if you're working here again," Connor says. He's sitting with two of his friends. I met both of them a few times when we were dating. I never liked either of them.

"That's how jobs work," I say and wonder why I feel so much calmer seeing him this time. "You have to show up for more than one shift."

His eyes are glued to my chest. "And they can't even get you a uniform that fits."

Sil put in the order for more t-shirts, but there was an issue, so they haven't arrived yet.

"With boobs like that, I don't mind," one of his idiot friends says and leans back as he openly stares.

"I always knew you were a slut," Connor says. "It was hard enough to keep you in line while we were dating."

I swallow and try not to show how deep he struck with that comment. Fuck, has it really only been a year since I first met him? I was so young back then. I practically melted when he paid me the least bit of attention. And I was so grateful not to be alone.

So when he wanted to move things along, I felt like I couldn't say no. And then he held that over my head. Saying if he could get me in bed that easily, then he needed to keep an eye on me.

But this is not the time or place to bring this up. I do my best to steel myself and take a deep breath.

"What can I get you?" I ask and stare at the notepad.

They order beers and burgers and I force myself to walk at a normal pace and not run into the kitchen to get away from them.

As I put in the order, my hands are shaking.

"Are you ok?" Gina asks and tilts her head. "You look like you're about to cry."

I finish the order and blink a few times. I'm not going to let him see how his words hurt me.

"I'm fine. It's just my ex."

Gina grimaces. "That sucks. At least my ex has the decency to not show up when I'm working."

I nod. I know she doesn't mean it in a bad way, but it just reminds me of how bad I am at choosing boyfriends. And even when I knew he was a horrible person, I still didn't end things straight away.

For the rest of my shift, I do my best to avoid his table. He keeps looking at me, but all it does is make me uncomfortable and mad at my past self.

When they finally leave, I find that they left less than a dollar in tips. Which is just fucking great. But all I can do is pocket the money and clear the table.

It's a slow night for a Saturday, so every tip matters, and it's such a slap in the face that they would do that to me. Gina sees my sour face when I return.

"Something wrong?" she asks.

"Seventy-five cents. That's how much they left me." I feel like slamming something on the counter, but I'm carrying empty glasses so I refrain.

"Ugh, sorry about that. But don't worry, once hockey season starts, the place will be filled and tips will be better. Well, as long as the Lions win."

I nod. Yeah. Hockey season. That means Ethan will be playing. Maybe he'll even come here after.

"It's bad today," Gina continues, "because students aren't really settled yet, and everyone is on Greek row. It'll get better."

"I know. I'm taking my break, if you don't mind."

She nods. "Go ahead. I have it covered."

I head to the break room and briefly play with the thought of removing my shoes. But the thought of putting them back on stops me. Instead, I grab my phone from my locker and sit down. A sigh escapes me as the pain in my feet eases.

I sit back in the corner of the couch, lifting my legs but keeping my feet dangling over the edge. Even with the questionable cleanliness of the couch, I can't bring myself to put my shoes on it.

Checking my phone, I soon come to the conclusion that everyone's out partying tonight. Just not at Lucky's. Eve, Steph and Fiona have posted a picture of themselves and another girl. They're smiling and happy and I almost wish I could be friends with them. Almost.

When I keep scrolling, I find a video of Ethan. My heart flutters and I almost feel guilty. Like I'm some creep stalking him. It's from earlier today, and he's showing off his new car. From the comments, I understand that it's some sort of really fancy car, but all I can focus on is his smile.

Being in front of the camera comes so effortlessly to him. His cocky half grin makes my knees weak and now that I know what his hand feels like holding mine, what he smells like, it makes it much too easy to lose myself in fantasies.

I realize what I'm doing and flip the screen away from me. I'm practically stalking him. I take a few deep breaths. Then I flip my phone over again. Who cares if I check him out? It's not like I'm ever going to see him again, and he's the one posting this stuff.

Fuck, maybe I should have given him my number.

No. I'm not a puck bunny or someone he can just throw away when he's used me. Besides, it's not like I have time for this, anyway. Like right now, I'm supposed to be returning to work.

I sigh and put my phone back in the locker. I need to stop being so naïve and fan-girly. And maybe I need to take some time and figure out what I want from a relationship before I rush into anything.

Thanks to Connor, I know what I don't want. But there's more to it than that. And I don't ever want to feel as powerless as I did with Connor ever again.

Just Pucking Money [COMPLETED]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें