Chapter 32 - They're not serious...

Ethan

After a late practice on Thursday, I head over to Lucky's with Liam. Lily should be getting off her shift soon. She's been working a lot lately.

The place is empty enough that we immediately spot JD. He's sitting with Dylan 'D' Darcy. Dylan used to play hockey, but decided other things were more important. Like appeasing his family. Which is something I know a thing or two about.

"Hey, man. It's been a while."

I give him a nod as me and Liam sit down with them.

"Ethan Preston." Dylan looks over at me. "Fierce as ever on the ice, I hear."

"What, you don't have time to watch our games anymore?"

"Life keeps me busy." He shrugs and takes a sip of his beer.

"Too bad you weren't good enough to play," Liam says.

"Who says I wasn't good enough? I remember kicking your ass at practice."

Liam shrugs. "I don't see you on the team."

"I hear you might be giving up the skates for hooves. A Rivers' girl? Really, Liam?"

Liam beams at him. "You know what horse girls are good at?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Riding?" I ask, and he nods with a smug smile.

"Hi, guys."

I look up at the gentle voice and see Ellie, Dylan's very serious girlfriend. She's smiling brightly as she sits down next to him.

"I don't know how you put up with this guy," Liam says. "You know you can do better, right?"

She just smiles and ignores him. "Turns out, I don't have to work tonight after all. Lily will be taking my shift."

"Lily?" I ask and look around.

"You know her?" Ellie asks.

"Oh, he knows her," Liam says suggestively.

"I thought she was just getting off."

"Yeah, she works a lot. I wasn't even going to ask her to cover, but she knew Dylan was visiting and practically begged for the shift."

"That's weird." I furrow my brow as I see her come out of the back. "Why would she do that?"

Ellie shrugs. "She probably needs the money."

Lily looks tired. She's re-tying her apron and closes her eyes. For a moment, she looks like she's falling asleep.

I ignore the others and cross the floor. As soon as she sees me, her face lights up.

"Hi," she says as I lean in and kiss her.

"I stopped by to see if you wanted to do something, but Ellie said you're still working."

"Yeah, I really wanted to let Ellie be with Dylan. They don't see each other so much anymore, and it's just bad luck that she got called in while he's here."

I nod. That makes sense. Lily is considerate.

She places a hand on my chest. "I should get back to work. You want something?"

Her fingers light a fire through my t-shirt and I want to keep her there, but I know I can't.

"A couple of beers for me and Liam when you have the time."

"Coming right up." Someone yells her name, and she gives me an apologetic look. I watch her walk away and smile at a table of women.

Returning to the table, I'm a bit down. I had hoped to spend the evening with Lily, but I'm sure I can see her tomorrow.