Chapter 2 - The last year

Ethan Preston

The engine spins as I cruise through the streets. The sun is shining, and there's not a cloud in sight. It's such a pity that classes start when there's still time to enjoy the weather and freedom of summer.

I want to drive fast. This car was made to go fast. And fuck, it sounds good. And it has that new car smell, even though I know for a fact dad got it secondhand.

The summer is already feeling like a distant memory as I reach familiar streets and navigate to the hockey house. It looks just as when I left it. But I know there have been some changes on the inside.

I pull into the driveway and reluctantly turn off the car. As I get out, I look around. I spent all of last year in this house, and it's almost like coming home.

The door opens.

"You fucking asshole," Liam says as he comes outside. "You couldn't take the time to send me a text now and then?" He hurries up to me and my smile is wide and genuine as I hug him.

"Like you texted me. Besides, I saw you liking my posts."

"Well, it was the only way to keep track of you."

"Bullshit, you could have called."

"It's good to see you." Liam turns serious and I nod.

"You too."

"I wasn't actually sure you'd come back."

"I have to admit, leaving Croatia was hard. You should have come. We ruled the nightlife."

"I hope you still found some time to work out."

I laugh. "Don't worry. I won't let you down on the ice." I flex my biceps. "If anything, I'm faster and stronger."

Opening the front trunk of the car, I grab my bag.

"Holy hell," Liam says. "This is a Bugatti Chiron." He walks around the car, studying it from every angle.

"Yeah, leaving Croatia was really hard. So dear old dad figured I needed a little incentive."

"Your dad got you a Bugatti just so you'd come back to UNI and finish your last year?"

"You know dad, can't leave anything to chance."

"Fuck, it's a gorgeous car." He peers up at me. "You're going to be even more of an insufferable snob now, aren't you?"

"There's nothing wrong with liking the good things in life. Besides, it's not even new."

"This is still a three million dollar car."

I smirk. "Want to take it for a ride?"

He shakes his head. "Maybe later. I'm not going to be responsible for three million in damages before classes even start."

I laugh and head inside. It's not like it matters. It's a nice car, but it's only a car. I'm sure my father could get me a fleet of them and not blink an eye.

"Your stuff is all set up," Liam says. "Must be nice to have someone at your beck and call to do all your moving."

"It is." I grin.

"Usually," Liam says. "People show up to move their stuff by themselves. They don't hire professionals to shift them from one room to the other."

"Well, I was busy when I got the message. I met this woman in Bangkok." I think back to the fun we had in a hotel room before I found out her boyfriend was not only a mixed martial arts expert, but very possessive. Wincing, I rub at my neck. That one was on me. I should have made sure she was single. But in my defense, she should have told me. Even if there was a language barrier.

"So where am I sleeping?" I don't really care. Last year, I shared a bathroom with Liam and that was mostly fine. Except when he forgot to tell his overnight guest about the arrangement and I walked in on her on the toilet. She was not happy.

"You're in Brick's old room. I have Wes' room and Dustin and Jonathan have our old rooms."

I nod to myself and push open the door to my new room.

"Finally, I don't have to worry about walking into a toxic cloud every time I use the bathroom."

"It's weird not having them here." Liam leans against the doorframe as I examine how everything has been set up. "Especially Brick, you have no idea how annoying it is to have to figure out what to eat all the time."

"Things change." I try to shrug it off, but I am much too aware of the changes that are coming. Changes there's no getting away from.

"You didn't happen to learn any cooking over the summer, did you?"

I give him a look. "We can just order in."

The movers have put everything where it's supposed to be. The bed is made with fresh sheets and there are new products in the adjoining bathroom. The towels are different, which makes me think my mom must have had a hand in it. Not literally. She wouldn't actually go to a store and pick out towels or anything, but she probably had them buy new linens and whatever.

I walk over to the desk. There's a brand new laptop next to a stack of books. I know without a doubt that in the drawers I'll find post-it notes, pens, notebooks, flashcards, highlighters and anything else that could aid in my studies. I also know that both the laptop and the reading tablet next to it will have all the ebook versions of the books I'll need and neat folders with extra reading, abridged versions and notes on the courses I'm taking.

There will be no excuse if I don't get my degree this year. My dad has made sure of it. I turn my back on all of it.

"Your dad's assistant brought all of that," Liam says.

"Figures." I don't want to think about it, not yet. "Oh, we should think about some kind of food delivery. I'm sure we could get a weekly delivery of snacks and cereal and stuff."

Liam grabs a card from my dresser and holds it up to me. "Maybe I should call your dad's assistant to make it happen." He's teasing me, but honestly, it's not a bad idea.

"Which assistant?" I glance at the card. "Oh, yeah. One word and he'll research the best diet for hockey players and have it all set up. That's kind of what he does."

Liam studies the card and shakes his head. "Fuck you and your money. You have no idea how real people live and it's kind of disgusting."

I grin in response. Liam has said this before. Even going so far as to call me a spoiled brat from time to time.

"You know you can also use the card if you want something. Just tell him it's for me."

"You know what," Liam puts the card in his pocket, "I just might."

We head to the living room just as JD comes down the stairs.

"You're back," he says and we do the handshake hug. "Ready for a final year of hockey?"

I wish he hadn't phrased it like that. I'd give my left nut to keep playing, but it is what it is.

"It's going to be the best year." I wink at him. "Nothing but puck bunnies and fights on the ice."

JD shakes his head. "You still haven't grown up, have you?"

"Oh, that's right," I say and lean back as I look him up and down. "You've joined the ranks of the whipped." I shake my head in fake disappointment. I actually really like Morgan. "Tied down by a girlfriend."

"Fuck you. And grow up."

"Not until I have to," I say and park myself on the couch where Liam has booted up the latest co-op game. For one more year, I can be whoever I want. And I intend to take full advantage of it.