Chapter 55 - Asking Antonia

Ethan

She's fucking gorgeous.

I put away my phone and continue getting changed for the game. Once most of my gear is on, I can't resist. I take out the phone again and bring it up.

Maybe it's creepy that I follow her landlady. I don't give a fuck. Because it paid off, big time.

For the last few days, I haven't been able to stop looking at the photos of Lily. There's a before and an after picture, and she's incredibly gorgeous in both. But the sadness in her eyes is less in the second one, and I love Ginny for doing that. For taking away some of the sorrow.

Her new hairstyle is perfect for her. It's a bit messy, and I think she needs that.

"Hey." Someone punches my shoulder and I look up. JD is standing in front of me. "Let's go. We have a game going on. Remember?"

"Right." I put my phone away and follow the others back to the ice. It's the third period and we're up by one. And I intend to make sure we win.

Lily is working tonight. I asked around. Because if it hurts for her to see me, I need to make sure she doesn't.

The rest of the guys are headed to Lucky's after we win. And we will win. Because Lily said she gets better tips if we win. So I'm going to win it for her. If I can make her life even a tiny bit better, I will.

I take my time afterwards. Everyone is celebrating and congratulating me on the hat trick. But my thoughts are on the one person who wasn't in the audience and the three that were. Antonia, Henry and Annabelle.

It's a setup. The parents spoke and want us to be seen together before the announcement in a couple of days. To help sell the illusion.

Once I can't delay any longer, I go outside and look for them. My cousin is chatting with some of the other players and his wife is keeping Antonia company.

After some awkward greetings, we head off to dinner.

It's another upscale restaurant with small portions. From the moment we step inside, I know I'm going to have to stop and get some real food afterward.

The conversation starts off stilted and by the time the food arrives, I'm extremely uncomfortable.

"We got our invitations," Annabelle says, "for the Christmas party." She winks. It's an open secret that it's an engagement party.

"I hope you can make it," Antonia says carefully.

"We wouldn't miss it."

I stir the strange soup that tastes too much of saffron.

"So," Henry clears his throat. "You must be looking forward to the engagement."

Neither Antonia nor I say anything. We just stare at our food.

"I saw a documentary about arranged marriages." Annabelle's cheeriness sounds forced. "Did you know they can be very successful? And a lot of them grow into love over time."

"And if not, there's always divorce." Henry laughs.

Annabelle gives him a death glare. "Don't be silly. Marriage isn't something you enter into if you think divorce is going to be on the table in the future. You enter a marriage with the intent of being with your spouse forever. It's about growing old together and respecting each other throughout the phases of life."

I look at the woman sitting next to me. I can't imagine growing old with Antonia. Now, Lily.... I can't wait to see her age. I want to see her become a mother, a grandmother. I want to take her places and spend Thanksgiving watching movies and eating takeout. I want to get her cheesecake on our anniversaries.