Chapter 4 - A friendly party?

Lily

By Friday, I almost have a routine going. It's a lot of work, keeping up with my studies while working as much as possible and taking care of the apartment, but it's doable. And maybe the roommates aren't as bad as I first feared.

Friday night, I'm hidden away in my room, using my night off to read ahead in some of my classes. My scholarships are grade dependent, so if I can't keep up, I lose them.

There's a knock at my door, and I sigh as I get up and open it.

"Yes?"

Steph looks too excited for me not to be suspicious.

"What are you doing tonight?"

I squint at her. "Studying. Why?"

"Perfect. That means you're free to come to the party with us."

"What party?"

"The only party to be at tonight." She flips her hair and giggles as if that's the silliest question ever.

"I don't think so. I really need to study."

"On a Friday night?" Her eyes are wide. "Why? No, don't answer that. Fridays are for parties, and I insist you come with us."

"I'm not much of a party person." Even if I were, I'm not sure I'd want to go with Steph and her friends.

She rolls her eyes and sighs. "Everyone's a party person. And it'll be a nice roommate bonding experience."

"Can't we do something else? I don't have anything to wear."

"You can borrow a dress. Come on. Everyone wants you to come."

Part of me had already settled in for the night, and was really looking forward to doing absolutely nothing. But another part of me is starting to think it could be fun. Maybe this year I can be more social and make friends.

I smile. "Sure. I'll come."

Steph claps her hands and looks like she's about to do a cheer routine. "Great. I already know what you should wear. One of the dresses I ordered is way too large for me. I was going to send it back, but I haven't gotten around to it. So you're in luck."

Pretty soon the apartment is a flurry of all of us getting ready. The dress Steph brings me is, to my relief, really cute. It's a royal blue sleeveless skater dress. The color makes my eyes pop and I love the flirty little skirt. It's very short on me, since I'm taller than Steph, but not so short as to be indecent. As long as I'm wearing underwear. It's also a bit tight around the chest. But since I'm several cup sizes bigger than Steph, I'm more surprised that it actually fits.

Steph even volunteers to do my hair. She curls it and makes a loose half-bun. She pulls out a few strands and giggles as I gawk at myself in the mirror.

Normally, I wear a minimum of makeup, but for tonight I put in an effort and by the time I'm done, I'm happy with my appearance.

The other girls are still running around, trying on outfits, so I use the time to read a few more pages before we head out.

The party isn't far away and there's a discussion on whether we should walk or take a car. I offer to get my car, but they decline. Steph wrinkles her nose when I mention it. They saw the car when I moved in, and I don't think they approve of it.

We end up walking. Much to my relief. I'd rather not spend any money if I don't have to.

As we walk, Eve whispers something to Fiona and giggles. Fiona glances over at me and smiles back. I pull at my dress and run a hand over my hair, just to be safe. Maybe this was a bad idea? But before I can muster up the courage to tell them I'm going back home, we're at the party.