Chapter 29 - The dinner...

Lily

Saturday morning, I get back to the apartment after a visit to the bank. My mind is finally at ease. It's true that tips are great after the Lions win, and last night everyone seemed to be in an exceptionally generous mood.

I really want to start saving and if I keep this up, I might even be able to put a little aside this month. Not a lot, but something. And if I can get more Friday night shifts, I can start looking at shoes. Or, I could get gas, so I can use my car a bit more. Sometimes, it would be so much easier to not have to take the bus.

I get a text from Ethan as I'm finishing up a lunch of oatmeal and brown sugar. He's asking me to dress nicely for our dinner date.

Immediately, I panic. When a guy tells you to dress nice, it means more than jeans, right? I spend most of the afternoon going through my closet and looking up TikToks of nice outfits for dates.

In the end, I choose a short, wide, black skirt and a top that shows off some midriff. I'm sure I'm not the most fashionable woman, but it'll have to do.

I spend a good amount of time on my make-up and hair, which I also google how to do. When I study myself in the mirror, I'm happy with the result. I look nice.

This time when Ethan rings the doorbell, I'm prepared and open the door before any of my roommates can. He's in a black button-up and pants with a thin belt.

As we walk into the restaurant, I glimpse our reflection in the window and we look good together.

That feeling quickly fades when we get inside. I feel underdressed, and like I'm masquerading as someone else, all at once. It's probably the fanciest restaurant I've ever been to. But I smile at Ethan as we're immediately seated.

"I hope you're hungry," Ethan says as we're handed menus.

I smile at him and hope my stomach won't start growling. But as I open the black folder, it drops instead. There are no prices. What does that even mean? Do people not care how much it costs? What if you're on a budget? A quick glance at the other patrons tells me none of them are on a budget. Or if they are, it's nothing like mine.

"Do you want apps?" Ethan asks. "I think we should get some."

"I don't think I need any."

"We can share," Ethan says.

When the server takes our order, I choose a pasta dish that I can't imagine would be very expensive and Ethan orders a couple of appetizers for us and a steak for himself.

I watch how effortless he is, and start to relax. I realize I trust him.

"Tell me about the game last night. You won?"

"We did." He shrugs. "It was a good game. Challenging."

"And you didn't get hurt?" My eyes run up and down his body as if I could tell what was going on under his clothes.

He smiles at me. "Some bruises. Nothing serious. But you can kiss them later if you want."

I ignore how the thought turns me on and furrow my brow. "It's such a rough sport."

"At least I still have all my teeth."

Instinctively, I take in his smile. Of course, his teeth are perfect.

The server brings out the appetizers and we pause until he leaves.

"But it does happen that players get seriously injured."

"Sure," he says nonchalantly. "But you can get injured wherever. Or fall ill. Like your brother."

"Step brother." I chew on a tiny meatball with some unusual spices.