Chapter 53 - Making arrangements

Ethan

I drive by three times before I park the car slightly down the street. Never in my life have I been so lost. I could be drowning, and I wouldn't even know. The house is nestled between two other houses and some bushes.

A man with a bushy white beard comes out of a house further up the street. He's walking a mid-sized dog and checking his phone. The dog happily turns down the street and they disappear out of sight.

I turn off the car and try to gather some courage. This is difficult, and I don't understand why. Maybe because I don't know what to do.

Before, I've always known what to do. I may not have liked it, but the path I had to take was clear. Now, it's all muddled. And might end in the sheer drop of a cliff.

I'm not sure how much time passes before the door to her house opens. Lily wraps a cardigan tighter around herself as she scans the street.

I have an instinct to duck down so she doesn't see me, but looking at the other cars around here, there's no point. The Bugatti isn't really a car for undercover.

She spots me and starts walking over. I run my fingers through my hair before I open the door and get out.

"What are you doing here?"

She looks so pretty it hurts.

"Hi." The word takes so much effort when she leaves me breathless. Are those dark circles under her eyes? Has she not been sleeping?

She looks over at one of the houses and waves. "The neighbors say you're being suspicious."

I should say something. Anything. She's here in front of me, and I need to talk to her.

"I got you on the unlimited meal plan for next semester."

Her eyes widen and she blinks. "What?"

"You have twenty-one meals per week. If you don't use them before summer, they expire."

"I... I know how the meal plan works."

I nod. "Good."

"But why?"

"I still care about you, Lily."

There are tears rimming her eyes. "You're making this hard." She angrily wipes at a falling tear. "It would be so much easier if I could hate you." She sobs and my heart shatters. "Seeing you hurts."

I struggle to keep from crying and clear my throat.

"If you ever need anything, you can come to me. And if you don't want to see me, you can go to Liam. Liam will help you any way he can. It doesn't matter if it's money, or someone is giving you a hard time. You're not alone."

She nods and wipes at more tears. "You should go before someone calls the cops."

My jaw muscles tense. "Maybe I'll see you around."

She doesn't say anything. Just nods again.

"I'll leave. As soon as I know you're safe inside."

Her hand reaches out and my body stops. Everything freezes as I wait for her to touch me. But she doesn't. At the last second, she pulls away and hurries back inside.

I watch as the door closes, as if I can still see her. Then I get back in the car and drive away.

Back at the house, I go straight to the couch and sit next to Liam, who's playing something. He glances over at me, but I need a moment to myself.

He hands me the controller and we pick up the game we've been playing.

Clearing my throat, I steel myself.