Thirty Days

With the announcement of the wedding came a flurry of excitement from everyone in the district

With the announcement of the wedding came a flurry of excitement from everyone in the district. While they had weddings, they tended to be smaller affairs, but it seemed that the Coin was sparing no expense when it came to this event.

After all, it was a propo to show the world what life would be like outside of the tyranny of the Captiol. Amara had her hands completely full. When she wasn't studying brain scans and attempting different ways to fix Peeta's mind, Annie was bouncing ideas off of her.

"You're Amara White," Annie protested when Amara asked why her opinion was so important at Annie's wedding. "You're a Capitol socialite. If anyone knows how to throw a good party, it's you."

And she was right. Amara did know how to throw a party, but she was far too busy to plan this entire wedding with Annie.

"Besides," Annie said shyly, her face turning red. "You're my best friend."

And just like that, Amara was planning an entire wedding.

She wasn't getting as much sleep as she wanted, but she spent almost all day studying Peeta before she had dinner with Annie and the two stayed up late into the evening to go through wedding prep.

She'd barely seen much of Finnick, and they were both struggling with that, but there was too much happening at once, and she knew it was going to get worse when Plutarch pulled her aside one afternoon.

"Katniss is awake," he said quietly. "I just spoke with her and told her I'm confident about the team we've put together. Please tell me you're learning something."

"We just finished the first stage of understanding what is triggering his fear. It seems to be just Katniss. He doesn't have any kind of emotional reaction to any of the other victors or anything from district twelve, and we've tested everything. I'm concerned about the amount of hatred and fear toward her. I think it's going to take longer than we thought it would."

Knowing that Katniss would now be closely tracking their progress, Amara and her team worked as hard as they could to push the dopamine through his system. Unfortunately, he was resistant to the process, and there was only so much they could do. Time wasn't on their side.

She hadn't had any time to see Jade, and she only really saw Finnick when she walked by the training room. He rarely glanced up as she walked by, but she cherished those moments of just seeing him every day.

She missed him.

"Amara?" Annie asked one evening when the two were hunched over the table looking at floral arrangements and debating color schemes. Amara threw back another cup of tea and glanced over at her friend.

Annie seemed to hesitate to ask a question. She flushed slightly red as she looked everywhere but Amara.

"Are you alright?" Amara asked, laughing slightly, and Annie turned even more red as she nodded quickly.