New Rules

Katniss read the note out loud, and Finnick walked over to take a  look

Katniss read the note out loud, and Finnick walked over to take a  look. She pulled the object out of the box, and a single red rose fell  with it.

"What is it?" Finnick asked, staring at the strange  object. "It's from the Heiress. I think it's a spile." She picked it up  and hammered into the trunk of a tree.

Finnick stared down at the rose.

"She never sends anything this early," he muttered. "She hasn't in years."

But Katniss didn't have time to dwell on what that meant. She waited one moment. Two. And then water began to trickle out of it.

They all ran over, taking turns to drink mouth fulls of the water. He made  sure to grab a leaf for Mags to drink. He had to make sure she was able  to make it out. She would survive this; she had to.

She was the closest thing he had to a mother. She  would always be his Mags. She drank thankfully, and when they were done,  everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

Peeta and Mags both laid back  down and closed their eyes, and Katniss and Finnick were once more  sitting in silence. She glanced over at him and noticed that Finnick was playing with the rose in his hand. He had an odd look on his face, as if he were trying to solve a puzzle that was on the tip of his tongue, but wouldn't come to him.

"What did you mean when you said she  never sends anything this early?" Katniss asked quietly. Finnick glanced over at her, surprised. He was sure she had grand plans of ignoring him the entire night.

"The Heiress," he said as if that explained  everything. When Katniss continued to look at him like she was deeply  confused, he continued. "The Heiress has been around for nine years. She  picks one tribute, and that tribute has always won the games. But she's only sent a gift on the first day one time, and the 68th games were the shortest ever. It didn't even last twenty-four hours."

"So why did she send it so early?" she asked, and he just shrugged.

"It could have been sent to any of us," he said. "If she wanted to pick a winner, she would have singled someone out."

"Why didn't she?" But Finnick just shook his head.

"I have no idea."

Before Katniss could ask more questions, a gong went off. It was loud and echoed through the arena. It went off twelve times.

Peeta and Mags both sat up curiously.

"I counted twelve," Katniss said.

"Midnight?" Finnick asked.

"Or the number of districts," she suggested.

In the distance, they saw the lightening strike a tree. It was hit over and over again, and they both wondered who was over there that the Capitol wanted dead so badly.