Peeta's Push

"Peeta," Amara breathed as soon as she emerged from her dressing room

"Peeta," Amara breathed as soon as she emerged from her dressing room. Caesar was nowhere in sight, and she knew she didn't have much time before they would be forced to go live with him, but for now, she knew Peeta was still alive.

He looked terrible.

He was a hallowed shell of the boyish tribute she'd first met. He was so pale. She didn't know what they were doing, but it wasn't good. Nothing about this was good.

He barely took her in as he looked up at her.

"Miss White," he greeted plainly, and she narrowed her eyes as she studied him. The peacekeepers behind him tensed up as she took a step toward him.

"Peeta, we know each other. Do you remember who I am?"

But he didn't respond.

"Are the others alive?" she asked. "Johanna and Ezra- are they alive?"

Peeta didn't respond, and the peacekeepers studied her cautiously. Peeta didn't even blink until Celeste clamored up to them, clapping her hands.

"Alright, Peeta is on in five. Remember, Amara, you're just here to encourage him and show your support. You'll be standing behind him. Places, places!" It reminded her so much of Effie, and she kicked herself for not questioning where the escort was. It was possible that, like Cinna, she was also dead. She had no way of knowing.

She and Peeta were escorted to a seat across from Caesar, who looked giddy at the sight of them. He kissed them both on each cheek before sitting down.

"Are you comfortable?" he asked. "Any water?"

Peeta didn't move. She wasn't sure what they expected to get out of him during this interview, but she wasn't sure he would be able to manage bodily functions, much less spew whatever propaganda that Capitol had drilled into his head.

She heard the Capitol music play, and she watched in horror as Peeta sat up straight, suddenly able to speak easily. Gone was the boy who looked more dead than alive from just seconds ago. In his place was the smiling boy from District Twelve. She could see herself in the screen behind him. She saw her perfectly manicured hand to his shoulder. She felt his muscles relax slightly. She may be here to publicly show her support for the Capitol propaganda, but in this moment, she was just a girl supporting her friend.

Peeta had been through horrors she could never imagine. As he sat there ready to spread the lies that the Capitol was forcing down his throat, he could use a friend. The Capitol would see one thing, and who knew what the districts would see. It could be that they knew it was all fake, that it was all for show, or maybe they would believe the lies Peeta was about to tell. He'd won everyone over with just his words before.

Perhaps he would have to do it again.

"Hello, and a big welcome to all in Panem. I'm Caesar Flickerman, and whoever you are, what ever it is you're doing-- if you're working, put down your work, if you're having dinner, stop having dinner-- because you're going to want to witness this tonight."