Reaping

"Finnick!" he heard the familiar ring of Iris' voice travel through the Victors' Village

"Finnick!" he heard the familiar ring of Iris' voice travel through the Victors' Village. He glanced over and grinned.

"Mags!" he called out. "Iris is here."

Mags poked her head out.

"Is it time already?" she asked. "Goodness, didn't the last reaping just happen?"

Finnick grinned and stood up from where he had been planting a new lilies.

"They're pretty," Iris commented. Finnick nodded toward Mags.

"They're Mags' favorite. They'll be in full bloom when we get back," he said before brushing his hands on his pants and leading Iris into the house. "Besides, I just picked these for you."

Iris gasped when she saw the flowers: it was a full bouquet of irises. She took them in her arms with a smile.

"Thank you, Finnick," she said before leaning in and pressing a kiss to his cheek. "And happy belated birthday."

Finnick's grin only widened.

"Your smiling face is the best present I could have asked for," he said. She blushed, hitting his arm slightly.

"You flirt," she said. Mags chuckled from the kitchen.

"You need to drop by Annie's if you want to pick up your present," Mags reminded him. He nodded.

"Adrien should be here any moment," he said. "We're going to pick it up and then run through his training for the next month."

"And will you be cleaned up and ready for the reaping in the next hour? Don't forget, you need to be packed and everything."

Finnick snorted. "What do I need to pack for? Reiner is going to make sure I look presentable no matter what."

"Still," Iris chastised. "It's always important to look your best."

"He'll be ready," Mags promised. "I forced him to pack this morning."

Adrien's knock on the door caused the three to look over. He was dressed in formal attire, even though he knew today was not the day he would be reaped.

Finnick jogged over to the door.

"Do not be late!" Mags and Iris yelled out in unison. Both boys chuckled before they began the walk toward Annie's.

It had become a bit of a tradition to go down there together. Finnick had comfortably became their third wheel over the last few weeks. He loved watching them awkwardly flirt with each other. His favorite game to play was to push them to see how red they would become.

Unlike in many of the other districts, the town was alive. Shops closed around noon so everyone could make it to the reaping. People were excited to see who would volunteer this year.