Jade's Revelation

Katniss was woken the following morning by Boggs shaking her shoulders

"Come with me," he said quietly. She was led through the corridors and into the control room that the government was continuing to operate from. Coin looked up when they walked in.

"They took their best shot," Coin said. Katniss nodded and glanced around the room. "Your mother and sister okay?"

"Yeah, they're fine," Katniss confirmed, and Coin wasted no more time with pleasentries.

"I need you to do something for us. I need you to tell Panem that we survived an attack from the Capitol with no casualties. And we remain fully operational"

It seemed a simple enough task. "Okay."

"You should know something," Coin said. She stepped toward Katniss in an appreciative manor. Her typical wall that the president insisted on building between them was down. "We had eight extra minutes of civilian evacuation because of Peeta's warning. I won't forget that."

Katniss felt a burden relieved from her shoulders. If Coin was warming up to Peeta, she might understand that everything for the cameras was a lie. What the victors had to do inside that Capitol, they had to do to survive.

But she still remembered Coin's warning. If she didn't participate as the Mockingjay, the deal was off. So, when dawn came, Katniss and her propo team were marching out of the bunker and out onto the surface.

The last time she had been out here was to hunt with Gale right before Peeta's announcement. It felt like everything had changed since that moment. Including, it would seem, the layout of District Thirteen.

Katniss could barely move as she took in the rubble that was once the wide forest of Thirteen. Right outside the doors, a bomb had been dropped. It seemed whatever building had been here had been caved in. Wires that had broken were sparking sporadically, and there were a few pipes draining of the water they contained.

In the center of it all were hundreds of white roses.

Snow.

Katniss could barely breathe as she picked one up and examined it.

"Why would they drop these?" Gale asked.

"For me," Katniss breathed, realizing that just like her, the white roses were a symbol.

"Ready to go, Katniss?" Cressida, the director she spent so much time with, asked. "We're going to do this just like District Eight."

Right. District Eight. They filmed a propo there right after the hospital was bombed. Now, they're doing one here. Katniss noticed a pattern she wasn't a fan of.

There were always consequences for these videos. Would Peeta be her consequence?

"Tell me about the roses," Cressida prompted. Katniss didn't respond. "Tell Snow Thirteen is alive and well."