Star-Crossed Lovers

Amara was intrigued by the girl on fire, and the rest of the Capitol seemed to be as well

Amara was intrigued by the girl on fire, and the rest of the Capitol seemed to be as well. It seemed that Katniss Everdeen had caught the attention of some very important people.

She may come to regret it.

"How are they feeling?" Amara asked one evening as she and Finnick settled into the couch. She poured him a glass of wine and he took it.

"Disheartened," Finnick admitted. Amara raised a brow and he shrugged.

"We all know the game they play," he said. "And in the last decade, the person who wins the heart of the Heiress wins the games. When was the last time there was a girl from Twelve to volunteer for her sister?"

"She hasn't the last few years," Amara pointed out. "She supported you guys for years."

"And look how that turned out," Finnick said. "Everyone plays the sentimentality card, and the only reason Snow allows her to continue doing what she's doing is because of how much money she brings in."

"You think she supports the Capitol?"

"I think everyone supports the Capitol."

"And you think that Katniss Everdeen will be this year's winner?" she asked. Finnick nodded.

"She's never done anything different in the last decade," he said. "I don't see why she would start now."

Amara was silent for a moment as she swirled her wine.

"What do you think would happen if one day she just...stopped?"

"She wouldn't," Finnick said. "And as much as Snow hates her, I don't think he'd let her."

"Snow doesn't know who she is," Amara pointed out.

"He doesn't have to. Anyone can send money into the games under the name. If she stopped one year, someone else would pick up her mantel soon enough, and Snow doesn't need to have more control over everyone than he does now."

"Did you see the statistic about her the other day?" Amara asked. Finnick chuckled.

"How she has single-handedly boosted the economy 35% in the last decade," he nodded. "It's crazy, isn't it?"

"Do you think when she started she thought she would be doing this much?"

"I don't think anyone wakes up one morning thinking their actions will have make a national impact."

"But everyone wants to make an impact," she pointed out.

"Yeah but we can do it in small ways," he stood up and held up a hand. "Speaking of which, I brought you something."

She put her wine glass down and craned her neck slightly, hoping catch a glimpse of whatever he was pulling out of his bag. He stood up and grinned, still holding the object behind his back.