Finnick's Secret

When Finnick exited his room after making himself more presentable to the masses, Effie and Prim were waiting

When Finnick exited his room after making himself more presentable to the masses, Effie and Prim were waiting. Prim took Jade's hand and escorted her back to the hospital wing, and Effie led him to the bomb site.

It was dark when he walked out. He wished there were hints of light around the place, but instead, the only thing they had were the lights that Cressida used for the camera.

Finnick wished his first breath of fresh air had been under different circumstances, but he wasn't that lucky. He hesitated when he saw the roses, but tried to ignore them as Cressida instructed him on where to stand.

"We'll go straight to camera," Cressida said. "Okay?"

He didn't respond as he tried to breathe in and out.

"Finnick?" Cressida prompted, and he nodded.

"Yeah," he said with a shake of his head. He could do this. He had a chance to save everyone, and he had to take it.

"Take your time," she told him, clearly sensing his nerves. "Just remember to keep talking and don't stop."

Finnick took a deep breath.

"This is Finnick Odair, winner of the 65th Hunger Games."

**

The first time Amara's TV flickered, she thought it was a glitch. Nothing else was on, so she had no idea how she was able to see this video go through.

The second time it flickered, she dropped her knife on the counter and sprinted over.

Finnick. She heard Finnick's voice.

"Come on," she muttered.

"The truth," she heard, and then his face filled the screen. She gasped and touched his cheek. She didn't even try and hold back the strangled sob that would have been wildly unattractive if he was actually in front of her, but she didn't care. Not one bit.

He was alive. He was alive and he was safe. He was alive. "Not the myths about a life of luxury. Not the lie about glory for your homeland. You can survive the arena, but the moment you leave, you're a slave."

It was a familiar sentiment. It was a word he used a few times when describing why they could never be together. She stepped closer to the TV as she stared at him.

"I have no choice." It was what he always told her and she never believed him. She never believed him because how could someone have their own free will taken away? She glanced out the window. No one else had any light in the Capitol.

What was happening? It took her barely a moment to realize. Beetee. Somehow, Beetee was in the system. He was broadcasting this message, but why? How was he getting anything through?

Katniss asked her to get the victors out, and she knew she needed a distraction. Was this it? Was this the opportunity she'd been waiting for?

"President Snow used to sell me," Finnick's voice cut in again. "Or my body, at least. I wasn't the only one. If a victor is considered desirable, the President gives them as a reward or allows people to buy them."