The Interviews

The victors had been friends for too long to put up with the Capitol's crap

The victors had been friends for too long to put up with the Capitol's crap. They knew they had to play the game, and understood the role they each had. All of them were fed up with it.

Until Amara went on stage, she stood side-by-side with the other victors as they all went out one at a time. It was comical, the way she was able to read through the lies the victors told the Capitol. Before she hosted the Victors as they viewed the games, she never would have known.

Now, all she wanted to do was laugh at how thick they were all laying it on.

Cashmere and Gloss went first.

"You are our family," Gloss said. "I don't see how anyone could love us better."

When Cashmere started crying, the stylists and escorts backstage did as well. She raised a brow and looked at Finnick, who was also trying to hide his smirk. Every person that went out on that stage tonight was going to fight to prevent the games from happening.

"The Quarter Quell were written into law by men. Certainly it can be unwritten."

Caesar didn't know what to make with that, and Amara noticed that Beetee's attempt fell flat. The Capitol dealt in emotion, not logic.

Then, it was Finnick's turn. He squeezed her hand once and whispered against the shell of her ear.

"This is for you."

He was on stage before Amara even understood what he was talking about. It wasn't until the end, after Caesar was done drilling him about his score and his odds that he asked the one question that made Amara's heart leap in her chest.

"Finnick," he greeted, grinning out at the audience. "I understand you have a message for somebody out there-- a special somebody. Can we hear it?"

Finnick chuckled and looked into the center of the camera.

"My love, you have my heart for all eternity, and if I die in that arena, my last thought will be of your lips."

Amara felt a tear run down her cheek. Out of all of the speeches given that night, his was the one that reached her. It was meant for her.

She knew there were some out there who assumed it was for them, and she wanted to strangle anyone who had ever had the opportunity to have a part of him. Most knew it was for her.

There were a few who craned their necks to look in the wing of the stage, hoping to catch a glimpse of the singer.

"Now," Caesar said, also glancing toward her. "I think we've all seen the photos of you and Amara."

The crowd cheered loudly and Finnick grinned. It was a real smile, Amara noticed, and one that was typically saved for her. He was proud, she realized. He was so proud to be seen with her.

"I think we all want to know when you went from being friends to being more," Caesar smirked, and the crowd cheered even louder. Finnick glanced to the corner of the wing. The two made eye-contact and when he winked, the crowd went wild.