Budding Friendship

Finnick slumped into his seat in the mentor's section with a sigh

Finnick slumped into his seat in the mentor's section with a sigh. Haymitch looked over at him and laughed.

"Long day?" he asked, and Finnick rubbed a hand over his face.

"You could say that," he groaned and sat up.

"What are your odds?" Haymitch asked. Cashmere grinned as she poked her head between the two of them.

"Mine are pretty good. Both eighteen. Both top of their class. Both lethal," she bragged.

"Mine are a fan of me, so you know they at least have taste," Enobaria said. Finnick groaned. He didn't feel like playing this game today.

"What about you, Odair?" Gloss asked, hopping in on the conversation.

"He's my friend," Finnick said. The other victors fell silent.

"Oh, Finnick," Cashmere sighed, placing her hand on his shoulder. "I'm so sorry."

Ezra plopped down and rubbed his eyes.

"Does it ever get better?" he asked.

"No," they all said together. Ezra glanced over at Finnick.

"Are you okay?" he asked curiously.

"He's friends with his tribute," Haymitch said. Ezra winced.

"I'm so sorry," he said. Finnick rubbed his hands over his face.

"There's nothing I can do about it except mentor him as hard as I can."

"So does that mean no midnight rendezvous with Miss White?" Cashmere smirked. Finnick's  head snapped to attention as she giggled. Haymitch raised a brow and turned to Finnick.

"I would also like to know the answer to that," he said.

"Or," Ezra added on, trying to suppress a grin. "Will you be exploiting that relationship?"

"Adrien is meeting Amara because they want to meet each other."

"Talk about her that much?" Enobaria asked.

"She's my friend," Finnick said nonchalantly. "Of course I've mentioned them to one another."

"Just friends?" Haymitch asked.

"Of course," he insisted, but none of them seemed to believe them. "Amara is great, but she's still part of the Capitol."

That seemed to dull the mood.

"So why hang out with her at all? Since she's your enemy?" Enobaria asked.

"She's not my enemy," Finnick snapped. "She just doesn't know any better."

"And you're going to burst that bubble? Get a socialite to side with the districts?" Ezra asked, and everyone shushed him.

"Careful, kid," Cashmere snarled. "Talk like that sounds rebellious, and is a fast way to get you killed."