Chapter 5 Part 13: The Good, The Bad, And The Blackened

... what was this? Were... were my eyes deceiving me? There's no way this was real, right? Maybe my eyes really WERE deceiving me. After all, one of my glasses was broken. But... that doesn't change reality. Slowly, I stepped through the open door, blocking the light as I walked through.

I'm standing... in a field?

The wind rushed through my hair, and blew tall blades of grass around in smooth wave motion. Wait, no, they weren't blades of grass. I was standing in a field of wheat. It felt... nice... to feel the wind. I'd almost forgotten what it had felt like. I looked up at the clear blue sky. I didn't even realize that a smile had spread across my face. It felt so... peaceful. But after a moment... it didn't seem so good. The field seemed to be going on forever, from every direction.

"... I thought Araigu said we were close to Yuutsumi." Kawata said, walking up beside me. He seemed slightly annoyed, but couldn't help but smile. We were outside.

"Otani, I just wanna say, your secret was really boring." Sugai blurted out. Then, he started sprinting through the wheat, playing around in the crops.

"This... this can't be real..." Arima said, slowly walking over to stand next to me. Tears fell from his eyes, as he stared happily out at the land. "We're... we're free?"

"We've still gotta make it back... b- but..." Otani stuttered. "I think... I think we are!" He cheered. He held Imamura in his hands, her legs lazily over his arms. She held herself up by holding onto Otani's back.

"... I..." she stared out at the field. Tears welled up her eyes, as she tried her best not to cry. With her free hand, she covered the top of her head, pushing her glasses slightly up. "... thank you..." she croaked, now unable to hold it back. She began to silently sob, taking her other hand and covering her whole face. Otani pulled her close, comforting her from the loss she felt in that moment.

"Hirano..." Kawata said. I looked at his face. As soon as I did, we both started to smile, our eyes becoming glossy. "Thank you so much..." I couldn't hold myself back, the tears running down my cheeks involuntarily.

"We're gonna go home..." I croaked, wiping the tears from my eyes. I stared out at the land in front of me. "I- I'm coming home dad... just wait for me."

"Guys, we've still gotta get away from here first." Arima said, picking up Sugai and standing him up. Suddenly, Yamazaki started trudging through the field, a determined look on his face.

"Yamazaki, wait up! We have to go together!" Otani called out. Yamazaki didn't respond, he just kept moving.

"Whatever, let him go. No one cares if he's gone." Imamura blurted out.

"Imamura! Don't say that! Yamazaki is a valued member of the team!" Otani scolded. Imamura folded her arms, rolling her eyes.

"Whatever..." she said. After a moment, her eyes started to tear up again. "Can we... can we please just go now?"

"Of course!" Kawata yelled, jumping up and down happily.

"FUCK!!!" Yamazaki blurted out. "OF COURSE... it's just as I thought..." Everyone turned around, looking over at where Yamazaki was standing. He had gotten pretty far at this point. His hand was out in front of him, lying flat. "... you guys might want to stay there."