Chapter 3 Part 4: The Knowing, and The Keeping

I sat up in bed, running my hand through my hair for a moment. Why did Taguchi do that? He seemed hell bent on making everyone there uncomfortable. It maybe he had a different goal? Maybe he just wanted to intimidate all of us.

I sighed, sitting up on my bed. I couldn't just sit around and pout about the fact that yesterday was a bad day. I had to focus on what was happening now. I stood up, and I wandered over to the closet, quickly getting changed and walking to the door.

-Free Time-

I wandered over to the cafeteria, ready to start my day with some breakfast. Suddenly, I noticed someone sitting down at the table all by themselves. I smiled, walking over and sitting by them.

"What do you want Hirano..." Imamura sighed.

Should I hang out with Imamura Mitsuri? -Yes- -No-

"... whatever..." she replied.

Imamura and I sat in silence, me getting some food to eat and her watching in silence. She almost seemed to be out of it. Maybe it was because of what happened yesterday?

Even though all that took place was silence, I think Imamura and I grew closer today.

Would you like to give Imamura a present? -Yes- -No-

I gave Imamura a red megaphone.

"... I don't know what you're trying to say about me... but it's fine..." she said, slowly dragging the megaphone towards her and placing it on her lap.

We sat in silence for a while. It felt really strange. Imamura would always go on long rants about what was wrong with society and the world, but she's as silent as a feather. It was starting to make me uncomfortable.

"U- um... Imamura?" I began. She looked over at me, not responding to what I was saying. "Is... th- this about wh- what Taguchi said?" Her eyes nearly popped out of their sockets, as she sat up and stared at me.

"How did you..." she started, before taking a long pause. "Oh... yeah... you were there..." she said, resting her cheek in her hand, her elbow against the table.

"Um... sorry. I- it probably doesn't matter..." I said, trying to go back on what I'd said.

"It's..." she paused. "Fine..." she sat up, almost seeming completely calm as she got into a resting position. "I've kind of just... created my life around activism... you know?" She began. I nodded. "I just... wanted a better life... for my family..."

"Y- yeah... that makes s- sense..." I said. She remained silent, staring at the table with a melancholy look in her eye.

"The world... doesn't listen to your wants... if you don't... act harshly..." she said, taking long pauses in between, as if it were hard for her to even speak. Her eyes darted back and forth, almost trying to comprehend something in her head, seeming entirely conflicted. Suddenly, her hands became fists, as she continued to stare down at the dining room table, she was so upset, you could almost see her blood boiling. But rather than at the world, it was directed towards herself. "God... what the fuck have I been doing?" She said, putting one of her palms up to her forehead.

"You've been..." I began. "...trying to help the world." I said. She glanced over at me, almost surprised, but calmly staring at my face.

"Heh..." she started, the slightest hint of a smile on her face. But, it quickly vanished. "No... I haven't. I'm a selfish bitch who treats others with disrespect and as if everyone is a mass murderer..." she said calmly. "God I'm a fucking idiot. That isn't saving the world. That's not what I've dedicated all my life into doing. I don't deserve to be alive right now. Furuya, Sazama, Shishido, and Morita deserve to be a lot more alive then me right now..." she said, standing up from her seat.