Chapter 3 Part 7- The Knowing, and The Keeping

I froze up. No. No... this wasn't possible. This wasn't allowed. This wasn't acceptable.

"No..." I mumbled. "NO!!!" I yelled, racing to Kawata's side, running right through the caution tape. Quickly, I shook him back and forth, fear in my eyes. "KAWATA!!! KAWATA WAKE UP!!!" I screamed. Tears ran down my cheeks. I caused this. I killed him. I had done this. I placed a hand on his back. Suddenly, my eyes went wide. He was... breathing? "Kawata!?" I said, shaking him once again. I pushed him over onto his back. Suddenly, his arm moved to rub his eyes. He yawned, and sat up, my eyes wide and filled with tears.

"Hirano?" He said. He had bags under his eyes as he stared at me.

"K- Kawata?" I replied.

"Oh... did I fall asleep?" He asked. He sighed. "Sorry... I stayed up all night investigating your room... I didn't even realize I fell asleep." He explained. I threw my arms around him, taking him by utter surprise as he sat frozen.

"I- I thought you died! A- and it was all my fault! I- I shouldn't have left you out there! I- I should've just slept on the floor! I- I didn't think of what might've happened to you-" I said, a hand suddenly being placed on my shoulder.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay. It wouldn't have been your fault. I was the one who stayed outside. I just wanted to investigate and make sure that nothing was removed from the crime scene." He explained. Suddenly, the monitor turned on.

"H- hi everyone! This is a f- formal announcement! Th- the time is now 7:00 A- AM. That m- means night time is o- officially over! Have a good d- day!" Araigu said, before the monitor turned off. Kawata looked to me, before moving backwards and yawning.

"If it's okay with you... I'd like to go sleep in my room for a little while. But I think I know who was in your room last night." He said, his eyes all droopy. "I'd comfort you right now but my brain is processing lift at two centimeters and hour." He stood up, stumbling out of the door and into his room.

I held my chest, letting out the biggest sigh of relief I'd ever had. I nearly had a heart attack thinking that Kawata had died. I couldn't forgive myself if someone died by my hands. Not again. I keep thinking that I would kill, but I'm to much of a wuss. If I killed... I'd be a nervous wreck. I'd never be able to bring myself to murder someone so I could escape. I sighed. I guess being a victim in one of these trials was inevitable.

I stood up, and began walking to the kitchen, closing the door to my room as I left. I was going to be early, but I didn't care. I was more worried about the fact that I didn't know who had ransacked the room. Kawata was right. This was an attack directed at me. I stepped inside of the cafeteria, making eye contact with Otani. Well, as much eye contact as you possibly can with Otani.

"Hello Hirano! You're early today." Otani said, happily.

"I- I woke up a- a little bit e- early..." I replied, uncomfortably shifting myself into a chair. He stared at me for a moment, before walking over and sitting down next to me, placing a pie on the table in front of us.

"Hirano, is something wrong?" He asked. My eyes went wide.

"H- huh?" I responded. "H- how did you..." I started. Otani stared at me sadly. "W- well... c- can you keep a- a secret?" I asked. He smiled, and nodded. "S- someone ransacked m- my room last night... a- and I'm just... a- afraid..." He stared at me for a moment.

"There's something else... isn't there?" He replied, my eyes going wide in response. "Did you do something wrong? I'll listen if you'll tell me. But if it's not something you'd like to mention, then I'll keep my distance. Just know I'm here if you need someone to talk to." I couldn't look away from him. How was he able to figure that out? I sighed for a moment, the corner of my eyes filling with tears.