Chapter 13: Pou Sonje

* It was always cold. I could always see my breath when I woke up in the morning to the sound of the schools wake up alarm. Honestly, it reminded me of the hospital my mother stayed in during her battle with cancer. They always kept it a certain temperature.

"You have 30 minutes to shower and dress and I expect each of you to be out of your dorms on the foot line for inspections!" Our dorm-master shouted down the hallway with a megaphone. I quickly rolled off of the mat we used as a mattress, almost falling onto my roommate.

"Moun sòt!" He exhaled, pushing past me to finish making his bed. I had quickly learned moun sòt meant idiot in creole. Etienne pronounced Hay-Tea-Yen, was from Louisiana. He had very long blond ish tight curly hair that he was forced to keep in a ponytail by our teachers and striking green eyes that burned with fury at any inconvenience. He was the epitome of "get out of my way" The ironic part was that even though he was an Alpha, he was a very soft boy. He didn't fit in with any of the other kids and I could tell he didn't belong here either. Because of that he was normally bullied whenever we got free time. Some nights when we were supposed to be sleeping I'd hear him crying. Most of the time I ignored it, hoping things would get better for him, but it never did.

That was until that one particular night. He had been reprimanded for telling the headmaster about some of the older boys calling him names and hitting him. One of the untold rules at FinchWood was that you'd get in more trouble for snitching than you would if you didn't.

I don't know what the headmaster did to him, but Etienne wasn't the same after that....or maybe I did know and I didn't want to visualize it. Etienne would  just sit on his mat awake at night staring out the one window we had in our dorm. After a while I started to sit with him. At first he was hesitant, looking at me in disgust before moving away to sit on the other side of the small dorm, but eventually he stopped moving away. Then he started talking to me about his life and how he ended up here. I thought my life was one big sad story but it was nothing compared to his. He was sent here simply because he fell in love with another Alpha, which didn't make sense in my head. Why send him to a place full of troubled alphas if he was attracted to them? Etienne had described to me how his father had beat him when he found him kissing another alpha boy, telling him that he was a disgrace and how he was sending him away to get "fixed". I felt horrible for him and part of me understood the feeling of having a father who wanted nothing to do with you. I guess me and Etienne bonded over our truama, which turned into something I couldn't comprehend at the time.

Those nights when we'd talk about our lives sometimes ended with us sleeping on the same mat or us cuddling each other. I didn't know if  it was because we both needed some sort of physical comfort or if there were feelings involved, but he was someone I cared for. That was something I did know. We had never kissed or anything like that, but he was one of the reasons I was able to keep myself sane.*

Sometimes I hated when I'd think about FinchWood. It was never something I wanted to do, but something that would happen when I had to much time to think. Me and Walker were headed to Maxwell and Drake's engagement ceremony, but I didn't realize how long of a drive it was to Northern California. We had decided to drive because flying was to much at the moment. Anytime we got near an airport, media seemed to automatically know we were there. So driving was a lot more convenient.

I looked over at Walker, who was fast asleep, his head pressed against the back window of our large SUV. His curly hair was a bit longer than usual reminding me of Etienne's' in a way. I hadn't thought about him in a very long time. It was partly do to me feeling angry about how he left FinchWood. I don't really know what happened but one day he was there and the next he was gone. Thinking about it made me angry. It felt like I was loosing someone all over again. After that things got a lot worse for me there.

My eyes jumped over to Walker, who began to stir, stretching his arms and yawning. He then quickly turned to me, revealing his suddenly watery eyes. "D-did I do something wrong?" He stuttered. I was confused for a second, quickly realizing that he thought I was upset with him. He must've felt me in his sleep.

"No Walker. I'm not..." I sighed, wishing I'd just tell him everything. I just wasn't sure how he'd react to hearing something like that. I didn't want him overthinking things like he did with my ex. "...the way I'm feeling right now is not because of you. I was just remembering someone in my life. I'm sorry, I didn't meant to wake you," I explained, pulling the omega into my lap to embrace him.

Walker quickly let his face fall into my chest as he hugged me tightly. "I love you," his muffle little voice said. I knew he did. We never really told each other that. It was just something we felt for each other. Like we both just knew.

"I thought it was me who made you mad. I know I haven't been the best boyfriend and I still haven't fully introduced you to Aryan and..."

I cut Walker's rambling off with a kiss, reassuring him that it had nothing to do with him. I was sort of over the whole Aryan thing after Valentine's Day. Plus, Walker didn't have the ability to make me mad. I don't know why, but there was very little he could do other than break my heart to make me mad.

"You didn't make me mad Walker. It was something that happened in my past and I was thinking to much about it. I..." I met the boys needy eyes. He wanted to know, which was difficult for me. I didn't like talking about it. "...I'll tell you on our way home. It's a very long story," I explained.