{three}

Niall laid with his head in Liam's lap, tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Nialler, please tell me what's wrong." Liam coaxed, running his fingers through Niall's disheveled blonde hair. Niall shook his head.

"I c-can't." He sobbed, curling up into the fetal position. He nuzzled his face into Liam's stomach, wrapping his arms around his older cousin's waist.

Liam looked down in concern. He'd seen Niall cry before, many times actually, but the fact that he wasn't running off and hiding like usual was kind of unnerving to Liam.

"Please, tell me Ni." Liam tried, continuing to card his fingers in their repetitive motion.

"H-harry is m-ad at m-me." Niall stuttered.

"Why?" Liam asked, suddenly switching into defensive mode. Niall wiped his nose on the back of his arm, sitting up and scooting over so that he was now seated in Liam's lap.

Ever since the two were young, Niall had always been slightly over-touchy with Liam. At first, Maura and Liam's mom Karen deemed it a crush. (One that had to be extinguished before things went too far.) But as Niall grew up, they realized that he was just simply clingy. Especially around Liam.

But really, Liam himself had never expected to be holding a 16 year old Niall as he cried into his shirtsleeve over some boy.

"Niall, what happened?" Liam coaxed, patting Niall's back in a soothing manner.

Niall snuggled closer, but pulled his face away enough to speak.

"I-I told h-him that I-I d-didn't trust h-him and n-now he won't r-respond." Niall stammered, ferociously wiping his tears away.

"Niall, you have to be careful with people's feelings. Maybe he's sensitive." Liam said softly.

When Niall looked up to him with those big blue eyes shining and twinkling like stars dotting the night sky, he realized that he'd said the wrong thing.

"No Niall, I didn't-"

Damn it. Niall was crying again.

♕♕♕♕♕

"Harry, just answer the poor boy back." Louis prodded. They were at a bar close to the outskirts of town and Harry had been staring at his phone ever since they'd arrived.

"Seriously," Zayn said, downing another shot. "You're just driving yourself crazy."

Harry sighed. He knew he was being overdramatic about this. Niall hadn't meant anything when he'd said he didn't trust him. They'd just started talking and now Harry was trying to get the poor boy to sneak out of a window for him.

The little lad had probably never done anything like that in his whole life.

"I'm an ass." Harry groaned, running his hand through his hair. Louis patted his back.

"Yeah, you are. Now go outside and call him." Louis said, shoving Harry off his stool.

"Okay. Good idea Lou." Harry praised, pulling his phone out of his back pocket. He made his way through the thick crowd to the backdoor where the ally separated off into the street. There weren't any bouncers back here so there wouldn't be anyone there to eavesdrop on his conversation.

He pushed open the door and felt the cool breeze hit him in the face. Fresh air flooded his nose and replaced the smell of stale cigarette smoke and cheap alcohol that had been there before. He wiped a bead of sweat off of his forehead and hit Niall's contact, holding his phone up to his ear and listening for the ring.