Chapter 21 - Lillian

I tugged the scarf around my head, cloaking myself tighter in the maroon cloak, intent on blending into the bustling market. Miya walked in front of me, scouting for any suspicious people.

"Alright, Delisa, remember, we need to be quick and discreet. No drawing unnecessary attention to ourselves," Miya whispers, her voice barely audible over the chatter of the market.

We both waited a couple of days for the news of me and Juliean to die out before venturing into the shopping district to collect items for our magic training. I had been too nervous to leave my house, but realized hiding forever was not an option. I needed to go and collect supplies to practice magic with Miya before the entrance exams.

"Miya- Has there been any word of Juliean? Has the Daily Royal got in contact with him about the interview?" I asked, keeping my voice low.

Miya glanced around once more, her brow furrowing in concern. "Not that I've heard of," she replied, her voice tinged with worry. "But we can't let our guard down. If they do manage to track him down, who knows what he might say... or what he might do."

I nodded, a knot forming in the pit of my stomach at the thought of Juliean piecing together my true identity. "We'll just have to hope for the best," I murmured, though the words provided little comfort.

As we weaved through the bustling crowd, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease that gnawed at the edges of my mind. Every passing face seemed to scrutinize me; every whisper felt like a judgment. But I pushed the paranoia aside, focusing instead on the task at hand.

Finally, we arrived at the magic supply shop, its entrance adorned with windchimes and posters. Stepping inside, the air was thick with the scent of herbs, a comforting familiarity amidst the chaos of the outside world.

"Alright, Delisa, let's make this quick," Miya said, her eyes scanning the shelves for the items on our list. As Miya gathered the bottles of pixie dust and gems we needed, I found myself drawn to a display of ancient spell books tucked away in a corner. Running my fingers over the worn leather covers.

"Are you interested in learning about ancient magic?" A low voice asked. I quickly turned around to find myself in front of an old man, picking up the book he had in front of me. He must be the shopkeeper.

"Well, I'm preparing for the entrance exams for a prep school. Do you think they would ask anything related to ancient magic?" I inquired.

The old man smiled, "Ah, the entrance exams for the prep school. They can be quite unpredictable, you know," he replied. "But a bit of knowledge about ancient magic never hurt anyone. It's always good to be well-rounded in your studies."

I nodded, intrigued by his response. "Do you have any recommendations for where to start?" I asked.

The shopkeeper chuckled softly, gesturing towards the display of spell books. "Why don't you start with this one?" he suggested, handing me the most weathered book, binded with cracked leather. "It contains some of the oldest and most powerful spells known to mankind. Just be careful not to get too lost in its pages."

I took the book in my hands, feeling a thrill of excitement coursing through me. "Thank you," I said earnestly, grateful. I held the book in my hands and wandered further into the shop, my fingertips gliding across the glass jars of gems, losing my train of thought. With a sudden jolt, I collided with someone, the impact knocking me slightly off balance. Startled, I quickly regained my footing and looked down to see a little girl rubbing her arm where we had bumped.

"Oh I'm so sorry" I stammered, feeling a pang of guilt at having not paid attention to my surroundings.

The little girl looked up at me with wide eyes, her expression a mix of surprise and curiosity. "It's okay," she said softly. Feeling embarrassed, I offered her a sheepish grin. "Are you okay?" I asked, kneeling down to her level.