Chapter 1 - True Magic

My Aunt Matilda would always say that kneading dough by hand takes talent and patience. Even while I thought what she said made sense, it was difficult to act on it, especially when I had a busy schedule. After wiping the flour off my apron, I quickly threw it onto the chair and ran to the clock to see what time it was.

"Auntie! It's half past 8! The paint shop should be open by now!" I quickly counted the coins in my pocket and grabbed a bag on my way to the door, carefully avoiding the cat stretched across the floor.

"Hurry back then! If you run into Gweneth, let her know strawberry pastries are in stock!" replied Aunt Matilda as she walked into the kitchen, dusting the floor.

The morning sunlight greeted me, and I closed my eyes breathing in the fresh scents. I made my way down to the cobble sidewalk and into the town center where a busy crowd greeted me. I greeted my neighbors and pulled into line behind the other locals, eager for Mr. Wood's paints.

As I waited in line, I observed the children running around carrying their new practice wands. Joyfully they raced past each other trying to change the colors of flowers and multiply their coins.

"Mama, why can't I have a wand? I want to learn magic!" moaned a little girl pulling on her mother's dress.

"Hush Anabelle, you already know! Only the royals and nobles can use magic. Us groundlings don't possess this ability!" she quickly yanked her daughter's hand before the little child burst into tears.

The scene seemed too familiar; I recall arguing with my aunt about why I couldn't carry a wand like other children.  The other children teased to the point where I stole one of their wands.

"Ahh Delsia! My favorite customer! I knew you'd come for my new order of the new whimsical watercolor set!" Mr. Woods interrupts my daydreaming and I smile back.

"Thank you, Mr. Woods, I've been waiting for these new watercolors for weeks! I practically had to beg my Aunt for extra pay to afford this new set." I say paying him the coins I brought in my purse. He gives a deep throaty laugh before giving back my change.

"Even if you were late, you wouldn't have missed out on the set. People are too busy trying to catch the morning news, than come to my shop!"

"What could be on the news that was more captivating than your watercolor sets Mr. Woods?" I laugh, shaking my head in disbelief. He quickly reaches behind the counter and hands me a copy of the daily newspaper and I examine the blaring headlines.

Princess Ruby said to host the next Divination Games as a celebration of the 100th anniversary.

The Divination Games was a torment where young sorcerers could showcase their magical powers by going on quests and competing with each other, it allowed the winner to receive a wish from the royal family. It would also grant them the title of royal sorcerers in the palace. However, the competition was only applicable to the nobles and other royals, as they were the only ones who possessed magic.

"I suppose it makes sense that Princess Ruby would hold the next Divination Games, she's soon going to take over her father's title and rule Veridian as its successor," I said aloud as I continued to skim the article.

A picture of Princess Ruby smiling to the crowd was featured. She was stunning, with her red locks streaming past her elbow and rosy cheeks. People were crowding around her, trying to give her gifts.

"All the royals and nobles are preparing their children to compete in the games, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!" nodded Mr. Woods observing the image with me.

"Wouldn't it be neat if commoners like us, could possess magic? Then we could compete in the Divination Games like everyone else." I mutter to myself, already knowing the answer.

"Maybe commoners do possess the ability to have magic, maybe it's the monarchy that shuns us and prevents us from being able to nurture and grow our skills?" replied Mr. Woods with an arched eyebrow. I thought for a moment, but before I could reply another customer walked through, requesting for new paint sets.

I walked through the streets still pondering on what Mr. Woods said. What if someone like me could possess such extraordinary power? I knew deep down I had magic, but it was practically useless as my aunt tried to hide it way in fear of retaliation. If I had the opportunity to grow my magical abilities, could I have the chance to compete in the Divination games? I keep imagining possible scenarios before crashing into a group of girls huddled around.

"Mmmm ahhhh," I clutch my forehead and try to regain my balance.

"Oh, Delsia it's you!" giggled my best friend Miya, who helped to steady me.

"What are you guys doing in the middle of the street all huddled together?" I ask curiously as I try to peek over their shoulders. Miya shoves the newspaper into my face and begins to jump up and down.

"The Divination Games are happening! Can you believe it! Father said If I worked harder on my spells, I could get a chance to compete!" she squealed with excitement before toppling onto the other girls.

I bit back jealousy, why was I jealous when I couldn't even do magic? I relaxed myself and gave Miya a genuine smile. 

"That's amazing Miya! I'm sure you'll make it!"

"Aww thank you Delsia! You're always so supportive of me! Unlike these girls!" she laughed playfully, swatting Emily. "Come! Let's go to your house and eat some of those strawberry pastries you promised to bake for me." she swung her hands through my elbow and we laughed as we strolled down the streets and back home.

Our village was nestled in the heart of the Kingdom of Veridian, with rolling lush hills and acres of farmland, bordering the Haven Forest. As we climbed higher up the hill Miya began to sing a tune from an old children's fairytale.

"You're in a good mood!" I laughed pulling her beside me as we walked through the cottage entrance.

"Of course I am! I feel like I'm finally going somewhere with life! After we finished prep school we have to find our destinies in life, I always thought I'd take over the jewelry shop with Papa, but now I know I want to become a sorcerer." she fiddles with the figurine on the foyer table before placing it back down.

"That's wonderful, unlike you, I'm stuck here with Aunt Matilda, and I'll take over her pastry shop. If I'm lucky I can move into the big city and own my shop there." I remark handing a strawberry pastry to Miya.

"Mmmm," she chews the sweet before closing her eyes, and slumping into the chair. I sit beside her and watch her devour the sweet.

"Maybe you could become a pastry chef for the royal palace, I'm sure they'll take you when you can make something this delicious."

"Maybe, but I plan to stay local and see how my success grows from there." Miya nods before grabbing a second pastry and chowing it down. Before I can tease her for eating all the pastries a rumble of hooves and wheels catches our attention. We both quickly stand up and press ourselves against the window to see what's happening outside. A grand gold carriage pulls through the roads and up our hill, stopping just before my cottage.