Chapter 10- Royal Parade

"Heavens! Delisa, wait for me!" panted Miya, struggling to keep up with my brisk pace. "For a pastry girl, you're awfully fast!" She stumbled a bit, coming to a halt to catch her breath.

"When you're tasked with delivering pastries around town, you build good stamina," I chuckled, waiting patiently for her to catch up. Miya nodded appreciatively before gazing ahead.

"Ah, we're at the shopping district. I see a crowd back there; let's go!" She wiped her arm across her forehead before jogging alongside me.

"I'm so excited to see Princess Ruby; I've always wanted to see her! She's such a fashion icon!" Our footsteps resonated through the empty shopping district as we approached the massive gathering.

"The whole town is here!" I exclaimed in awe, recognizing familiar faces. Aunt Matilda would have loved to come.

"Exactly, that's why we need to find a good spot to stand!" Miya tugged on my arm, skillfully navigating us through the crowd, squeezing past people, and murmuring apologies. Finally, we found a small gap, affording us a perfect view of the upcoming parade.

Miya tapped the man beside us, who shot us an annoyed look. "Sir, when is the parade starting?" she inquired. Before he could respond, a loud trumpet note seized our attention. The entire crowd fell silent, and I observed people on the opposite side of the road holding small signs scrawled with love and praise for Princess Ruby. Little children held play wands that glittered as they shook them in excitement.

"EEEEE, IT'S STARTING!" Miya laughed, looking around. A marching band began strolling down  the street, with drummers, flutes, and trombones playing the national anthem.

"In the realm of mountains high and valleys wide, our kingdom stands with undying pride." Miya sang along with the crowd, while my attention shifted to the spectacle unfolding. Behind the marching band, elaborate wagons pulled through, showcasing exotic dancers covered in sequins and jewels, with peacock feathers adorning their hair. People whistled and shouted as the parade continued, and a group of acrobats followed behind, performing wild tricks that entertained the children, who squealed in delight.

"Look, Delisa, look!" Miya shook her finger.

"What is it—" My breath caught as I took in a bedazzled carriage pulled by elegant white stallions. It was off-white, rimmed with a breathtaking gold finish. My heart raced; this was Princess Ruby's carriage. The entire crowd erupted into cheers, chanting, "PRINCESS RUBY! PRINCESS RUBY! PRINCESS RUBY!"

The doorman at the back of the carriage gave a small tap on the window, closed off with dainty curtains. Suddenly, the carriage door flew open, and out stepped Princess Ruby, igniting the crowd's excitement.

She wore an elegant white dress, her hands and neck adorned with diamonds. Her fiery red curls were intricately arranged in a bun atop her head.

"If Papa saw her jewelry, he would faint! Look at how many jewels she's carrying!" Miya's eyes longingly fixated on her necklace, featuring a white crystal flower. Princess Ruby flashed a breathtaking smile while conversing with her doorman, who handed her a delicately embroidered handkerchief.

"Now, looking at Princess Ruby, you guys look awfully similar," Miya whispered, scrutinizing me and Princess Ruby.

"What are you talking about? We look completely different!" I protested, shaking my head.

"Besides the hair, your lips and nose look rather identical. If you were just as pampered as her, I'd even say you'd look like sisters!" Miya exclaimed. I pondered Miya's observation; she was right—our complexions did share a striking similarity. It made sense; we were cousins, after all.

Did Aunt Matilda know about this? Is that why she didn't come?

Lost in my thoughts, an eruption of high-pitched squeals caught me off guard. A man emerged from the carriage, donned in a tailored white suit adorned with diamonds. His hair formed a golden halo, and his green eyes pierced through the crowd. Princess Ruby turned around flashing a smile, placing her hand on the crook of his elbow. My stomach churned as if a boulder had dropped inside. It was Prince Atlas.

"Oh my celestial, that's Prince Atlas, isn't it?" My eyes scanned him from head to toe. Miya gave me a smirk.

"Yes, just 20 feet away from you!" Miya gave me a playful look before bouncing up and down.

"LOOK, she's visiting people and taking their gifts! PRINCESS RUBY, COME HERE!" Miya shouted, but her voice was drowned out by the collective cheers. My focus, however, remained on Prince Atlas. Seeing him in person felt surreal, and memories of my time in the castle began resurfacing. 

"You should scream for Prince Atlas; he might remember you!" Miya suggested above the noise.

"Are you kidding me, Miya? Why would he remember me? I'd look like a fool! He might just assume I'm some crazy fangirl making up a lie to get his attention." Miya rolled her eyes.

"It doesn't hurt to try now, does it?" She gave me a mischievous look before bouncing up and down. "PRINCE ATLAS, PRINCE ATLAS, MY FRIEND WANTS TO TELL YOU SOMETHING!" Oh, what are you doing now, MIYA! I tackle her down, and she shouts even louder.

"MIYA!" I screech. Ignoring me, she continues to scream. I grab her around the waist and press my palm over her mouth.

"MHHHMMM AHHH!" She tried to wriggle out of my grasp. Surprisingly, our commotion catches his attention, and he turns around, locking eyes with us. Both Miya and I freeze under his gaze, which shifts from Miya, whose mouth I had covered, then to mine, he blinks rapidly, his mouth opening as if he were about to say something—before he could, Princess Ruby taps his shoulder, making him turn around and address her- forgetting about us.

"HE NOTICED US! HE NOTICED YOU, DELISA!" she screeched, prompting the couple next to us to cover their ears. She was right; he noticed me. It almost seemed as if he remembered me. I clutched the necklace around my throat, wondering why he recalled me. Suddenly, horror washed over me.

"We have to leave, Miya. I can't have him notice me again! WHAT IF HE FIGURES OUT—" I stammered, and Miya quickly catches on.

"HE MIGHT RECOGNIZE ME if I compete at the Divination Games now!" Miya's face blanks as she processes my words. Suddenly, the crowd around us becomes unusually loud.

"What's going on?" I say, trying to look around. We've lost our place in the front and we're now behind other people. Miya peers through a small gap and returns with sweat trickling down her face.

"It's Prince Atlas; he's walking this way."

Note from Author

I've been rereading some of the chapters and have come across many grammar mistakes. LOL, looks like someone needs to pay attention when to use present tense and past tense! Hoping to fix them all, and give you guys an easier read!